Early Dismissals, Halloween, Conferences, & Other Updates
Middle School Early Dismissal Schedule
All Early Dismissal Days Will be REMOTE LEARNING Days for Middle School Students Only!
Staff will present live, synchronous instruction from their classrooms on these days.
HALLOWEEN 2020 - BCS MIDDLE SCHOOL COSTUME GUIDELINES
5th-8th Grade students MAY wear their costumes to school on Friday, October 30th and remote students can participate by wearing their costumes to their Zoom classes as long as their costumes are appropriate for the school environment, adhere to the district’s dress code policy, and do not create a class or school disruption. For a copy of the dress code policy, please refer to pages 34 & 35 of the Parent Student Handbook for more information.
- Gruesome costumes, like those involving fake blood or body parts, will not be permitted. We are a Pre-K to 8th Grade building so we need to be mindful of our younger learners.
- Costumes may not be offensive or demeaning to any ethnic group, race, religion, nationality, disability, gender, or individual staff or student.
- Costumes may not show any obscene material or prohibited substances.
- Face paint IS allowed, but should be minimal and may not conceal the identity of the student. No passes will be given to the restroom for students to fix their face paint during the day.
- The following items and accessories are not permitted: Inflatable costumes, masks or other face coverings, any handheld costume accessories, or weapons of any kind (including guns, knives, swords, etc.)
*Please note: Any student attempting to bring weapons, toy weapons, or costume props replicating weapons could be subject to an Out-of-School Suspension. Failure to adhere to the BCS Dress Code Policy may also result in disciplinary action.
To avoid any potential problems - if you are not sure if your costume is appropriate or you have to ask, please don’t wear it!
Due to our current schedule restrictions, students are encouraged to share their costumes on our BCS Halloween Flipgrid since they may not be able to see all of their classmates on the 30th. In keeping with BCS tradition, 5th grade will help by judging the Halloween Flipgrid during their lunch period.
Flipgrid join code: bcshalloween
*All Flipgrid video submissions will be screened before they are made available to viewers.
Requests to Change Learning Environment
A Reminder for In-Person Students & Families
In-person learners are expected to attend in-person every day school is in session!
As per Dr. Campisi's Week 3 Communication, students that are onsite learners may intermittently use our remote capabilities only in the event of illness. Intermittent use of our remote learning capabilities requires the use of the following protocols:
- The parent (not the child) must email the principal, secretary, and teacher(s) that the child is not feeling well and will be utilizing remote learning.
- This notification must occur before or as close to 7 am as possible.
- If an onsite learner utilizes remote learning for two (2) or more consecutive days, a doctor’s note is required before the child returns to onsite learning.
- If a doctor’s note is not provided, the child will be converted to a remote learner for the remainder of the marking period or until a doctor’s note is provided.
- If a pattern becomes apparent of an onsite learner utilizing the remote learning capabilities, the administration reserves the right to convert the child to a remote learner.
- Remote Half-Day for MS & Parent Teacher Conferences:
Monday, November 2nd
Wednesday, November 4th
Monday, November 9th
Tuesday, November 10th
- Tuesday, November 3rd: Closed for Election Day
- Thursday, November 5th & Friday, November 6th: Closed for NJEA Convention
- Thursday, November 12th: End of 1st Marking Period
- Wednesday, November 25th: Remote Half-Day for MS
- Thursday, November 26th & Friday, November 27th: Closed for Thanksgiving Recess
For more upcoming events, please see the district calendar: