August 5, 2022
School pictures & locker selection
Join us for yearbook (9th-11th) and ID (9th-12th) photos in the Performing Arts Center during your assigned time slot. If your student needs a locker, have them report to the counseling center after their picture has been taken. (Office 131)
Tuesday, August 9th
Wednesday, August 10th
Thursday, September 9th - Retakes and senior last chance photos beginning at 8:30am (during the school day)
Join us for yearbook and ID photos in the PAC and locker selection from 1:00-3:00pm on Tuesday, August 9th. Begin in the PAC for your photo. From there, if you would like a locker for the 22-23 school year, you may select one. See Mrs. Donahey in room 131. All freshmen lockers are located in the 500 hallway.
The building will be open. Walk around to find your classes, stop by the Den in the commons for some Southwest gear, and learn about the PTO in the commons.
If you are unable to get your picture taken on August 10th, there will be a makeup opportunity during school on Thursday, September 8th.
Tuesday, august 16th Freshmen Orientation
We are so excited to welcome the class of 2026 to Southwest on Tuesday, August 16th from 7:40-10:30am for Freshmen Orientation. When you arrive, report to the PAC. Students will then have an opportunity to visit their classes and familiarize themselves with the building. Freshmen will also receive their MacBooks.
Bus transportation will take place that day for bus riders, and families should look for communication from Durham.
2022-23 School supplies
Where to find the BVSW calendar and bell schedules
- want to know what the bell schedule looks like?
- want to know if it is an even or odd or all class type of day?
- want to know what activities/athletics are going on this week?
Go to the BVSW website front page and check out our calendar and bell schedule!
*changes may be made so check it periodically
2022-23 online registration information
As we prepare for the 2022-23 school year, I am providing the high school online registration (OLR) timeline for your reference.
- July 12, 2022 – High school online registration opens. At this time, families will have access to pay fees; all fees will be open for payment with the exception of course fees. Families will also need to review and update their student’s information such as phone, email, emergency contacts and health data.
- August 12, 2022 – High school student schedules posted online. In an effort to maintain consistency district-wide and ensure counseling offices are fully-staffed to field schedule-related questions in a timely manner, all five high schools will post course schedules online for families to view on the same day once counselors return from break.
- August 19, 2022 – Final day for students to drop a course. This will be the final day for students to drop a course and not owe any fees for that course. Prior to Sept. 1, counselors should enter all known dropped courses in Synergy using the date the drop was requested, especially for those students who dropped prior to the Aug. 19 deadline.
- September 1, 2022 – Course fees assigned and opened for payment. Course fees for both first and second semester will be assigned. Students who drop a course after the Aug. 19 deadline will be responsible for paying any fees associated with that course. No reimbursements (full or partial) shall be given except in individual cases with extenuating circumstances.
- October 1, 2022 – First semester course fees due; two weeks prior to quarter end.
high school fees
Time to order your fall mums!
Thank you for supporting the BVSW marching band!
new online physicals
July 1st, the Blue Valley School District moved to an online format to submit all paperwork needed to be involved in athletics and activities at the high school and middle school levels. The online system can be accessed directly through the link below.
The registration website includes tutorials for athletic/activity registration. Please note that Blue Valley is not using the system for fee collection.
Students participating in athletics, dance and cheerleading will be required to upload a completed KSHSAA physical, dated after May 1, 2022, with a doctor’s signature, and complete all the necessary forms to be able to participate. Students involved in KSHSAA activities that do not require a physical will need to complete the other required forms to participate. Those activities include band/marching band, choir, and orchestra for high school and middle school. And, debate, forensics, BPA, DECA, and theatre for high school only.
Individuals will receive an email notification that confirms the online portion of activities/athletics registration. When building administrators return in late July, they will complete the final clearance. Students will be notified if they are successfully cleared to participate for the 2022-23 school year or if their registration is incomplete.
If you have any questions during the summer, please contact Matt Ortman, Director of School Administration, at email@example.com. Building administrators will return at the end of July and will be available to answer questions at that time.
** If you are new to the Blue Valley School District, there will likely be a lag time between being enrolled and when you are entered into this system. Contact your building administrator if your student is not showing up in the system.**
2023 yearbook senior ads early bird deadline August 26
Parents of the Class of 2023,
It is time to start planning the Blue Valley Southwest 2022-23 yearbook, which will be distributed in May 2023. As the parent of a 2023 senior, you have the special opportunity to place a congratulatory tribute in the book for your student. Deadlines are as follows:
EARLY BIRD ($50 DISCOUNT) - 2 p.m. Aug. 26, 2022
FINAL DEADLINE - 2 p.m. Sept. 16, 2022
Please note that all materials (photos, message, and payment) will need to be received by the above dates to qualify for the discount or to reserve an ad space. There will be no exceptions.
Order form: https://tinyurl.com/bvswseniorads
Sizes, prices, and answers to FAQs: https://tinyurl.com/BVSWSeniorAds2023
BVSW parents - order your 2023 yearbook!
BVSW Welcome Back Breakfast for Staff
Help us welcome our BVSW Staff back to school for another great year! We would like to provide a breakfast for them on Aug 11th during their meetings. Please check the list of needs and fill in what you can. All items are due in the office by 10am on Aug 10th, please.
Keep up to date with what is happening at BVSW!
All Activities and School Events can be found on the Eastern Kansas League website. Go to BVSW homepage, click on calendar, then click on the Eastern Kansas League website or click on the following:
Newsletters may also be found on our BVSW website - About Us - News
Check out the official student media of BVSW: https://www.bvswnews.com/
Want to include something in our Friday newsletter during the school year?
The deadline for submissions to the Friday weekly newsletter is Thursday noon. Any fundraisers must be pre-approved before they may be added to the newsletter. Fundraiser questions, contact Kim Rich at KARich@bluevalleyk12.org.