CA Update 3-5-17
Home of the Braves
With everything that our students do - all the time! - we came across an interesting blog that should be shared with all.
Success in High School is the exact same as College. We believe this and so do many education experts. This is a good read for everyone ... click HERE.
Have a fantastic week!
Three words: motivation, markers and momentum."
FLCC Victor Campus STEM Session for Women
Music in Our Schools Month
AP Examination Registration
To register for your exam(s):
- Place a check next to each AP Examination you wish to order.
- Total the amount owed. The fee is $93 per examination. Checks can be made payable to Canandaigua Academy.
- Registration will be conducted in the Main Office only during periods 3 through 7 and after school from Monday, February 27 through Friday, March 10.
- No registrations will be accepted before school or during periods 1 and 2.
- Return this form and payment to the Main Office by Friday, March 10.
Disaster! A Musical Comedy
In this musical, a group of New Yorkers attend the opening of a floating casino and discotheque that quickly succumbs to multiple disasters. These calamities correlate with plots of various disaster films of the 1970s such as earthquakes or killer bee incidents echoing situations from the films Earthquake and The Swarm respectively.
Additionally, this play keeps with a 1970s theme by being a jukebox musical, using popular songs of the decade as musical numbers.
March 10th -11th & 17th -18th at 7:30pm
March 12th & 18th at 2pm
CA Athletes Compete @ States
Congratulations goes out to our Indoor Track athletes. Seniors Ben Twombly and Grace VanGorder competed Saturday in Staten Island in the state tournament. Twombly finished 7th public/10th overall in the pole vault. VanGorder placed 12th in the racewalk.
- The Matthew R. Row Scholarship is a $2500 scholarship for two seniors who have lost a parent or guardian. Applications can found at http://runforrow.blogspot.com/
- The Canandaigua Federal Credit Union Scholarship consists of three $1,000 scholarships for students who belong to the Canandaigua Federal Credit Union. Applications are in the counseling center scholarship bin, under the letter C. The application must be postmarked by April 27.
- The 2017 QDMA Scholarship is a $300 scholarship for students who have expressed and/or demonstrated a concern for wildlife management. Preference will be given to students entering a field of study in Conversation. The deadline is March 15. Applications are under the letter Q in the counseling center scholarship bin.
- The Irene Buckner Memorial Award is a $1,500 award given by Canandaigua Elks Lodge #1844. The award is to a senior who is pursuing education or training for a vocation that involves the care, treatment, or preservation of animals. This scholarship is located under the letter I in the counseling center scholarship bin. The deadline is March 31.
- The Italian Civic League Scholarship is two $1,000 awards given to seniors of Italian lineage (at least one Italian grandparent). Applications are in the counseling scholarship bin, under the letter I. The deadline to apply is April 30.
- AIA Rochester is awarding $12,000 in scholarships to seniors majoring in Architecture. The deadline to apply is April 21. Applications are in the bin under the letter A.
- WNY Safari Club International is offering $2,000 to a high school senior with a demonstrated high level of interest in the environment and outdoor activities. The deadline is April 15. Applications can be found at http://ow.ly/WFo58. Preference given to a major related to conservation and wildlife enforcement.
Teen Book Festival
Over the past ten years, the Greater Rochester Teen Book Festival has been an opportunity for public and school librarians to dedicate an event solely to teens, to encourage reading some of the best titles aimed at young adults, and to offer a place where readers can interact with award-winning authors. The Teen Book Fest demonstrates the value of teens within our literary communities and focuses attention on the authors who write for them.
The Teen Book Fest is free and open to everyone. It will be held on Saturday, May 20 from 8:45 - 5:00 PM @ Nazareth College.
For more information, click HERE.
Superintendent Conference Day - April 14
Spring Blood Drive
CA will host an American Red Cross blood drive on March 24. All blood types are always needed. Students must be at least 16 years old AND all student donors must have parental permission. The parent consent form is available HERE. Because it's during the school day, we will also require students to signup in advance. A representative from the American Red Cross will be in the atrium during lunch periods on Wednesday, March 22 and Thursday, March 23. Students are to bring their signed parent consent form when they sign up to donate.
Our school-wide goal is to collect 75 pints of blood. The American Red Cross provides schools with a scholarship each year. Seniors who SIGN up to donate will be eligible for the Red Cross scholarship. Please note, if a senior signs up but is unable to donate they are still eligible for the scholarship.