John Birks Gillespie
AKA Dizzy Gillespie
His Jazz Life
- Charlie often got annoyed with Dizzy on-stage because Dizzy wouldn't limit himself as much. He'd do whatever he wanted to do, to an extent.
- The irritation in Charlie Parker ended up a positive because their competitive solos became more interesting through the slight tension.
- Played in several bands and late-night sessions in a New York nightclub
- Lots of complicated rhythms
- Defined by Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie (as mentioned earlier), Thelonious Monk (pianist), and Max Roach (drummer)
- Has a "playful" sound to it
The Editors of Encyclopædia Britannica. "Dizzy Gillespie." Encyclopedia Britannica Online. Encyclopedia Britannica, n.d. Web. 24 May 2016.
Verity, Michael. "What Is Bebop?" About.com Entertainment. 2016 About.com, n.d. Web. 24 May 2016.