Takoma Park MS Community Newsletter
Week of October 10th
Dear TPMS Families,
We are officially at the halfway point for the 1st marking period. As I conferenced with some of our students today, we had some very good discussions around their academic identity and the strategies they are using to achieve academic excellence. I encourage you to check in with your child about their academic progress to celebrate progress and tie it to specific actions that they've taken to achieve that progress and also to identify goals to achieve for the 1st marking period.
On Monday, our 6th grade students begin their rotations through Outdoor Education! I would like to thank Mr. Baker, Mr. Lynn, and the 6th Grade Team for their thoughtful planning to ensure that this is a great learning experience! I look forward to seeing our students at Camp Letts this week and next!
Finally, I want to elevate a few upcoming events.
- October PTSA Meeting (October 11th @7pm):This meeting will focus on the HS Choice Process and a speaker from PEP. I encourage all families to attend, especially our 8th grade families. Families can attend either in person or via zoom (see link below).
- Takoma Eats Out at Cielo Rojo (October 12th): Eat at Cielo Rojo and support the PTSA. Lunch or Dinner (11:30 a.m. to 9 p.m). Online Orders Only: https://www.cielo-rojo.com/. 10% of ALL ORDERS SUPPORT TPMS, PUT TPMS in the NOTES.
- Open House, originally scheduled for October 10th, has been rescheduled to November 11th due to a conflict with Outdoor Education for our 6th grade families. More information to come.
The Difference Makers and the PTSA are holding our Annual Citrus Sale to benefit our students! The grade level competition is off and running. Currently, our 8th grade is in 1st place, our 6th grade is in 2nd place and our 7th grade is in 3rd place. Here is the link to share with your family and friends: https://bit.ly/tpmsfruitsale2022.
Last evening, we held a Virtual Safety and Security Meeting to share our protocols and structures around emergency response procedures. Here is a link to the meeting recording. This link will be available through the weekend.
Have a wonderful weekend!
A La Carte Items at Lunch
October PTSA Meeting
This is a hybrid meeting. Families can attend in person or attend via zoom. Spanish, Amharic, and French interpretation will be available through zoom.
TPMS Cafeteria/Zoom: Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 863 9477 0030
Tuesday, Oct 11, 2022, 07:00 PM
Takoma Park Middle School Cafeteria
Register for a Free Chromebook Giveaway!
Limited Space Available
The City of Takoma Park has partnered with the Montgomery County Office of Broadband Programs to provide FREE Chromebooks for Takoma Park residents in need. The County has been providing Chromebooks to county residents over the past four months through a federal grant via the county library system. To date, they have given away over 30,000 laptops.
We are excited to offer 4 special registration links just for City residents for this Saturday, October 8, 2022, (10/08/22). There will be two additional dates this fall, with registration information forthcoming.
There are 50 spaces available per hour. Please use one of the links below to register. If a link is full, then please check the other links. All program information, including FAQs can be found here:
Takoma Park Resident links:
Requirements to Apply:
· Must be a Montgomery County resident, age seven (7) years or older
· One computer per person
· Must have a County or Takoma Park Library card number.
· Must sign a certification that the computer recipient would not have a computer for education purposes if the County did not provide one (education means any type of learning, including how to use technology)
· Every person, including children, must have an appointment and appear in person with photo ID to receive the computer
For more information, contact Montgomery Connects at email@example.com
8th Grade High School Applications Released Today
MCPS offers several academic programs to help students achieve their college and career goals. In addition to rigorous college and career readiness programs at their local high school, Grade 8 students may be eligible to apply for regional or countywide programs. The application for eighth-grade students is available in multiple languages in ParentVue. A student eligibility report will also be available in the StudentVue and ParentVue documents folders. In addition, for Grade 9–11 students, the interest form for upper grade college and career readiness part-time programs will be available Friday, Oct. 7, on the MCPS Special Programs website. The deadline to submit interest for both programs is Friday, Nov. 4.
Parents and students are encouraged to attend open houses to learn more. Visit the MCPS Special Programs website for meeting dates and times.
MCM Youth Media Academy
Mental Health Awareness Week
MCPS and the Montgomery County School Psychologists’ Association will host free virtual events Oct. 10–15 to allow youth and families to hear from mental health experts on issues that are important to them. The weeklong expo will feature daily themes, dynamic speakers and informational videos, and two live events: a Waymaking Special on Student Mental Health and a resource fair and Q&A session on Saturday, October 15.
Learn more about Mental Health Awareness Week.
See mental health information and resources.
Second TPMS PTSA Meeting this Tuesday, October 11 (7-8:30PM, TPMS). Come meet other parents, hear about school activities and participate in a discussion with Dara Kessler of the Parent Encouragement Program sharing a "Quick Start Guide to Happier Parenting: Three Tools You Can Use Today!"
You can preview the meeting agenda here, as well as minutes from September’s meeting on the PTSA website here. You can also submit any agenda suggestions to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The meeting will be hybrid and translation (Spanish, Amharic and French) will be provided.
Meeting Access Details: https://mcpsmd.zoom.us/j/86394770030?pwd=Wm9VM0hwSGpxQUJOaFVieFJkYWFvZz09
Meeting ID: 863 9477 0030
TPMS Eats Out at Cielo Rojo this Wednesday, October 12 (11AM to 9PM): Local favorite Cielo Rojo is partnering with TPMS again for our annual TPMS Eats Out event. The restaurant will donate 10% of all dine in and carry out orders that day to our PTSA. More details on the PTSA website here.
Walk and Bike to School Day this Wednesday, October 12: Safe Routes to School within the City of Takoma Park and the PTSA will man table as kids walk or bike to school to give out materials on safety and treats as well. Contact: email@example.com
Citrus Sale in Full Swing!! Start Selling Citrus for the Difference Makers/ PTSA's Fall Citrus Sale
Difference Makers and the PTSA are working to raise money for TPMS students through the Fresh Fruit Sale Fundraiser through Monday, October 24. Please consider ordering oranges or grapefruits (or a gift package that includes things like toffee, marmalade, etc). They also offer apples and much more! As an alternative to order forms sent home with students, you can also order online and share the sale at: https://bit.ly/tpmsfruitsale2022.
You can order for yourself or a gift that will arrive just before the Thanksgiving holidays. Fruit will be distributed in mid-November. Those who order online have the option to have fruit delivered directly to their home or to have it shipped to the school. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Save the Date for the International and Cultural Heritage Potluck – Friday, October 21
TPMS' International and Cultural Heritage Celebration this year will culminate on Friday, October 21st with a community event featuring a potluck, performances, cultural tables and more.
We need your help to make this year's event a success. How?
· RSVP! Let us know that you and your family will be joining us @ https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSceUC-i61KT645O04GNV0_-j9thLaMRIIkgZaE_FyySJMI_UQ/viewform?usp=sf_link
· Volunteer: There are many ways to help, please sign up @https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30E044AA4A72FA4F58-tpms1
Mark Your Calendars and Sign up to Volunteer!
· October 21: International and Cultural Heritage Potluck (6-8:30PM in the Cafeteria):
· October 24: Citrus Sale Ends
· November 8: Election Day Bake Sale: (6:45AM to 8:15PM): All day bake sale to raise funds for TPMS PTA outside the voting booth.
How can you help?
o Sign-up for a shift at the Bake Sale
· November 21: PTSA Support During Parent Teacher Conferences Contact: email@example.com
TPMS Parent Teacher Association Links: