Back to School
Hermann Middle School
A Note from the Principal
I am excited to be back at Gasconade County R-1 Schools. From 2001-2014, I taught Biology and Anatomy at Hermann High School. While there I also served as the Student Council Advisor and the A+ Coordinator. An opportunity to be a building administrator took me to the North Callaway school district for 2 years of learning and development, but I am incredibly honored to be back.
The building and grounds are looking great thanks to our fabulous maintenance crew. I cannot wait for you to see it and to meet all of the students, parents, and patrons of Hermann Middle School. I hope to see you at Open House on August 16 from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.
This is an idea put forth by Stanford University psychologist Carol Dweck and validated by decades of research. Dweck tells us there are two basic mindsets:
- Fixed Mindset- the belief that qualities like intelligence or talent are set and that those pre-set qualities, rather than effort, determine success.
- Growth Mindset- the belief that basic abilities can be developed through hard work. Growth mindset leads to a love of learning and persistence.
How can you help your child develop a growth mindset?
- Praise the process, not the result
- Encourage your child to embrace mistakes and learn from them
- Help your child understand that the brain is like a muscle- it needs to be worked and trained for learning to happen