OHES Paw Prints
Principal's Update ~ Winter 2021!
During our transition back to school, teachers prepared to proactively address current events occurring in our nation in a developmentally appropriate manner. Our pillar of character for January was fairness. Our school counselors prepared lessons to address resolving differences in respectful and fair ways. We honored the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. by focusing on our pillars of respect and fairness. We are reminded that it has become a tradition to celebrate Dr. King's legacy through acts of service. Even during this pandemic we encourage families to find a safe way to give back to the community.
February highlights will focus on lessons that recognize Black History Month, our character pillar of caring, celebrating Chinese New Year and Valentine's Day. We enjoyed special school events these past few weeks including participating in The Great Kindness Challenge and the Global Day of Play.
We wish all of our families a safe and warm winter and are counting the days to Spring and warmer weather!
Mrs. Scotti and Mr. Van Hise
Global Day of Play 2021
OHES Day of Play
We are looking forward to our second school-wide Day of Play this year! OHES has been participating in "Days of Play" which gives students an opportunity to engage in self-directed play during the school day. This is inline with the Global Day of Play that normally takes place every February.
A school-wide "Day of Play" is planned for Friday, February 5th. In lieu of our normal academic responsibilities, students will spend the day engaging in activities centered on creativity, problem-solving, teamwork, and innovation that are led by various OHES staff. Students will also be given time to play independently at home in an effort to reduce screen-time. Teachers will still provide schedules for students and families that include built-in times for snack/lunch and are inline with our early dismissal schedule of 9:30am-1:30pm.
Report Card Access - February 5th
Your child's mid-year report card will be available online starting February 5th at 4:00 p.m. They will be available to view, print, and save.
To log in:
1) Visit https://parents.mtsd.k12.nj.us
2) Enter your username, which is your email address, and your password. If you forget your password, use the "Forgot My Password" link just below the Login button. Your password will then be sent by email in a few minutes.
If you unable to log in or do not have an account, please contact Jaime Velez at email@example.com
Reminder: What Your Hybrid In-Person Student Needs
Items for Hybrid Return
- Personal pack of tissues
- Chromebook case 11.6x13 inches (grades 1 and 2 only)
- A beach towel to sit on in the classroom and during outdoor breaks (please launder and return each day)
- Three masks (required):
- One to wear each day;
- One to remain in the classroom (in a Ziplock bag labeled with child's name)
- One to keep in child's backpack (in a Ziplock bag labeled with child's name)
A healthy nut free snack that students can open independently & water bottle/hand wipes
- Writing folders
- Shoes students can tie or velcro on their own
- Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
- Completely cover the nose and mouth
- Be secured with ties or ear loops or gaiter neck style
- Include multiple layers of fabric
- Allow for breathing without restriction
- Be washed and machine dried without damage or change to shape
- NOT include vents/valves
Reminder: Parent Drop-off and Pick-up Procedures
- The two locations where you can drop off your child are via the main parking lot by the solar panels, or the cul de sac off of Burnt Hill Road near the Kindergarten classrooms.
- For health and safety reasons, we are trying to limit the amount of students walking throughout the building. Please consider using this map as a guide for which location to drop off. Yellow homerooms should drop at the cul de sac, green homerooms try to drop off at the main parking lot.
- Important safety protocols
- Parent should follow traffic pattern, pull up to curb, and student should exit on passenger side of vehicle.
- Staff will be present at both locations
- No parent should park their car and walk student to the entrance.
- As in years past, all students require a dated note with parent/guardian signature. If an adult who is not listed as an emergency contact in Genesis is picking up the child then he/she must be named in the note.
- Location: Main parking lot
- Contactless pickup
- Please display the sign on your dashboard or passenger window with student information (name, grade and teacher) upon pulling into the parent pick-up locations.
- A staff member will bring out your child so they can get into your vehicle
- We will maintain a sign-out log for each student being picked up.
- If you need to make a change in your child's dismissal plan during the day, please call the main office at 609-466-7605 by 12:30pm. We will not be able to accommodate changes after this time. Do not email your child's teacher.
Contact Information: Who's Who at MTSD?
Important Upcoming Dates
- February 5 - Report Cards Available
- February 10 - MES PTA Meeting, 6:30 pm
- February 12 & 15 School closed, staff Development and Presidents Day
- February 12 - Chinese New year
Kindergarten Registration for 2021-2022
Open Registration Period - January 25 to February 12, 2021
Out of an abundance of concern for the well-being of our community and in keeping with the CDC's guidance to practice social distancing, Kindergarten Registration will be online.
We will review the applications and email you if additional information is required. The email will include a temporary registration account to login and complete your Kindergarten Registration.
Age Requirements: Children must be five years old on or before October 1, 2021
Please follow the link below for registration information.