Be an Academic Intern Mentor!
The Academic Intern Program is a partnership program of the National Park Service, Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy, San Francisco State University, and City College of San Francisco that connects local college students with work experience opportunities in the park, allowing for a direct and significant pathway between local youth and their National Park, while also providing critical support for the work of the park.
ACADEMIC INTERNSHIP GOALS
- Engage local college youth in park programs and projects
- Provide students the opportunity to enhance their knowledge and learn work force skills, while contributing to the mission of the park
- Offer strong mentorships that provide students with constructive training and support to effectively do their job and learn
- Deliver hands-on, relevant, and meaningful work experiences to enhance classroom learning
- Serve a broad local audience that are representative of the rich diversity of the Bay Area
TIMELINE & DETAILS
- Internships run Mid-January – Late-May
- Part time or Full time
- Summer Extensions may be possible based on performance and funding
PROPOSALS DUE AUGUST 9, 2014
- There will be a selection process for positions. We have 40-50 slots available.
- Selections will be based on the quality of the intern position description, relevancy and suitability of work duties, educational and professional development elements, and the ability and willingness of the supervisor to act as a mentor to the intern.
- Selections will be announced August 19, 2014
HOW TO SUBMIT A POSITION PROPOSAL
1. Email the Position Description to firstname.lastname@example.org (see attached example)
- Please use the Position Description example as a template for format, fonts, justification etc.
- Here is a template of the Position Description
Questions: contact Terry or Denise
Director, Volunteer Programs
Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy
Volunteer and Training Manager
National Park Service