May 2019 Sunflower Patch
Headlines & Happenings at Sunflower Elementary
Here's What's Happening!
Power Hour – Tuesdays @ 2:35 p.m. (Call in transportation changes before 2 p.m.)
Panther Families – Thursdays @ 2:35 p.m. (Call in transportation changes before 2 p.m.)
3 – Library Summer Reading Program Assembly at 8 a.m.
3 – 5th Grade Band “Try Its”, 8-9 a.m.
6 – PTO Meeting @ Cottonwood 5:45-6:45 p.m.
7 – Teacher Appreciation Day
8 – National Bike to School Day (Helmets required.) 12:45-1:30 p.m. Wear you Team Schnak shirt from last year if you have one!
9 - 5th vs. Teacher Kickball Game 9-11:30 a.m.
9 - All School Picnic, 11:30-noon
10 - KSDE Annual Conference Art Design Contest. All entries must be postmarked today.
14 - DARE graduation at 2 p.m.
15 – Disability Awareness Day
16 – Fine Arts & Talent Show, 6-7:30 p.m. (View Projects 6:00-6:30, Talent Show Begins @ 6:30)
16 –AR cutoff for 4th nine weeks
17 – All School Field Trip to the Movies (8 a.m.-3 p.m.)
20 – 3rd Grade AR Awards
21 – 2nd Grade “Move Up Day”
21 – 4th Quarter AR Awards
22 - 5th vs. Teacher Kickball Game 9-11:30 a.m.
22 - All School Picnic, 11:30-noon
22 - Field Day, noon-3 p.m.
23 – Sunflower Celebrations Talent Show 8:30-9:30 a.m. *Parents arriving early will have to wait in the office until 8:30 a.m.
23 – Awards Presentations 10:30-11:30 a.m.
23 - Last day of school, end of 4th quarter (BRING A SACK LUNCH, NO SCHOOL LUNCHES).
National Bike to School Day is Wednesday, May 8, 2019. Weather permitting, we will be holding our annual ride through our neighborhood. For students to participate they need a bicycle at school that day. HELMETS ARE REQUIRED TO RIDE!!
Please have your student wear their "Team Schnak" t-shirt from last year or a yellow shirt if they have one.
Please click on the link below to sign up as a volunteer for Sunflower's Field Day.
Thank you in advance for your help,
May 16: Fine Arts & Talent Show, 6-7:30 p.m.
Fine Arts & Talent Show, 6-7:30 p.m. *Doors don't open until 5:30 p.m. Students must stay seated, with their parents, until 5:45 p.m.
May 23: Sunflower Celebrations: Talent Show, 8:30-9:30 a.m.
Parents arriving early will have to wait in the office until 8:30 a.m.
END OF YEAR CHECKLIST
- Check lost and found. Lunch items and clothing are in the hall between the Multi-Purpose Room and Library. Some smaller/valued items are in the office.
- Classroom materials and books are returned to the classroom teachers.
- Library items are returned and checked back in. Lost books need to be paid for by May 9.
- Lunch account is up to date. Negative balances cannot be carried into the next school year, so accounts must be paid in full before the end of the year. After May 14th students will not be able to charge lunches.
- All medication will need to be picked up by a parent no later than 3pm on Thursday, May 23.
2019-2020 ENROLLMENT PACKETS
We sent enrollment packets home with 3rd & 4th grade students this month. Please take a few minutes to review the material in the packet, make any changes needed on the information sheet, and complete any other paperwork enclosed.
Please note that we do not accept requests for specific teachers. However, our goal is to make sure the placement of your child will meet his/her individual needs. If you have specific concerns regarding the learning or social needs of your child, please put them in writing to Mrs. Wokutch. Requests will NOT be accepted after May 15th.
Paola Middle School will mail out enrollment packets for our 5th graders moving on!
DISTRICT ENROLLMENT: July 31, 2019 @ Paola High School 7am-7pm.
Summer Fun WITH Learning
Help build your child’s knowledge and general information with local experiences to have fun while learning something new. Talk to them about the experience, answer questions, and listen to develop positive self-concept & self-respect. Here is a list of easy, free/cheap, mostly local things to do with your kids this summer:
· Paola Free Library Summer Reading Program.
· Paola Community Center Summer Classes & Movies- WATCH for details.
· The Powell Observatory- May to October- Saturday nights @ 8:30 in Louisburg (South of 271st & US 69 on Jingo Road) donations suggested.
· Paola Farmer’s Market- Paola Park Square, Saturday mornings 7:30-11.
· Paola’s Hope Community Garden on Industrial Park Drive, and you can find it on Facebook.
· Miami County Fair Exhibits (July 21-26).
· Swan River Museum FREE in Paola on 12 E. Peoria.
· John Brown Home/Park FREE in Osawatomie.
· Arboretum & Botanical Gardens @ 8909 W. 179th from 8-7:30, Tuesdays FREE—other days, $1.00 for kids, $3.00 for adults.
· Deanna Rose Children’s Farmstead in Olathe, FREE 10-3, Monday thru Thursday.
· Mahaffie Farmstead on 1200 Old KC Road - Wed.-Sat. 10-4, $2.00 for kids, $3.00 adults. Living History - Saturdays & Sundays, 12-4, $4.00 for kids, $6.00 for adults.
· Cedar Cove Big Cat Park- $5.00 for kids, $7.00 for adults, in Louisburg.
· Community Parades: Osawatomie Jamboree– June 19th. Miami County Fair Parade– July 23rd @ 7:30. Louisburg Labor Day Parade– September 1st.
Character Words of the Week: Participate & Law-Abiding.
LAST DAY OF SCHOOL INFORMATION
Student Sign Out on the Last Day
- Parents need to sign students out with the classroom teacher, NOT the office. Students will not be called up to the office to be signed out.
- If students will be leaving with someone other than a parent, we MUST have a note in the morning. Please do not call or email transportation changes on the last day. Teachers will not be in their classrooms to check email nor to get messages from the office.
Lunch on the Last Day
- Please remember the cafeteria is not serving lunch on the last day of school.
- Students need to bring a sack lunch from home.
Transportation on the Last Day
- Normal dismissal procedures will be followed for any students not signed out early with their teacher.
- Buses will run normal routes at normal times.
- The last day will be a full day of school.
Last Day Schedule for May 23
- 8:30 AM - Encore Talent Show Performance
- 10:30 AM - Sunflower Celebrations, Year End Video, All School Picnic
- Students may sign out with their TEACHER after the awards celebration.
A huge THANK YOU to all the parents that have helped make this year a great success! Our partnership with you helps make Sunflower a great place for kids!
Community event flyers will be posted on the district's webpage instead of going home in student backpacks. If you would like your event posted, please contact the district office @ 913-294-8000.