Becoming a U.S. Citizen
Am I Eligible?
To be qualified for citizenship you must be...
- At least 18 years of age
- A legal permanent resident of the U.S.
- Present in the United States for at least 5 years
- Good moral character
If you are still not sure if you are eligible, the USCIS provides a Naturalization Eligibility worksheet that will help you.
How Do I Complete an application?
- Complete Form N-400 (Application for Naturalization)
- Take 2 pictures of yourself that meet immigration service requirements (like the example below)
- Have the necessary documents
- Send in your application, documents, application fee ($320), and biometric fee for fingerprinting($70) to the Service Center.
How do i get an interview? what are the tests?
2. Go to your local office at the time chosen for you
Make sure to bring identification!
3. You will have to answer questions about your background and application.
4. Next you will take the English and civics tests.
After completing these steps, you will wait to receive a decision.
What is the final step?
The final step is Taking the Oath of Allegiance.
-Receive a ceremony date and check in at the ceremony.
-Return your Permanent Resident Card.
-Answer some questions about what you have been doing since your interview.
...and after all of that you will finally take the Oath of Allegiance.