By: Prad Mishra and Laxmi Pariti
Devotio Moderna was a religious reform movement in which genuine pious practices of humility, obedience, and simplicity of life.
- Devotio Moderna originated in the Netherlands, largely through the work of Gerard Groote.
- It was created because the people were highly dissatisfied with the state of the Church. Devotio Moderna was a way to bring back old traditions and religious practices.
- It was founded in the end of 14th century and lasted till 16th century.
- Germany and Low countries predominantly adopted this lifestyle.
- The movement ended with the Protestant Reformation.
- The picture shows "The Brethren of Common Life", which was founded by Gerard Groote's disciples. The group followed Devotio Moderna.