Keowee's Friday Flash Forward
News from Your Assistant Principal, Rhonda Grant
We have survived our first week of MAP testing! Things have gone well and students have taken their time and stayed focus. Next week we will begin administering the reading subtest. I enjoyed my classroom observations in Anna, Jeanne, and Hilary's rooms this week.
Something to Consider...
Next week we will have been in school a month. Hard to believe isn't it? As I have visited classrooms, observed behavior throughout the building, and watched adults and students interacting with one another, it is very evident that you all have established clear expectations for yourself and your students. This realization got me to thinking...what are my expectations for Keowee?
- Ensuring the students are always safe.
- Teachers teaching the best lessons they possibly can.
- All adults interacting with love, patience, and understanding.
- Constantly assessing the progress of all students and using the data to inform instruction.
- Expecting respectful behavior from all students and understanding that students grow along a continuum.
- Giving second chances.
- Reaching out to parents and colleagues as partners.
- Integrating literacy, collaborative discussion, and technology in our lessons whenever possible.
- Celebrating our students and one another.
September Core Essentials
INITIATIVE--Seeing what needs to be done and doing it.
The ability to propel life forward in purposeful directions, initiative directs our attention toward a challenging goal and helps us overcome obstacles. It encompasses both an inner energy and an outer action. Initiative is an important part of positive childhood and youth development. Initiative is developed through experiences and relationships that help kids build confidence and believe in themselves. Initiative also involves instilling positive values in childhood, like kindness, compassion, and empathy for others.
WOW! Word of the Week
John Collins FCAs for September
K Left to right progression (organization)
1 Write a complete simple sentence (mechanics)
2 Topic sentence (organization)
3 Complete paragraph with a topic sentence, three details with elaboration, and a closing sentence (organization)
4 Introductory paragraph elements including "hook" (organization)
5 Body paragraph structure (organization)
FRIDAY AT THE MOVIES...
September 15 7:00-8:00 AM Grandparent's Breakfast for 4K-2nd
September 15 9:00 AM District Assistant Principal's Meeting
September 15 1:30 PM PTO Meeting @ Media Center
September 17 7:00-8:00 AM Grandparent's Breakfast for 3rd-5th
September 17 Constitution Day