December 7- December 11
What Happened This Week?
• We have been busy learning about different text features in class. This week, the kids learned about table of contents and an index. The rest of the week, we reviewed what we learned in the past. To end the week, we took a quiz on these features.
• During social studies time, we continue our exploration on communities. Our focus for the week was on goods and services. The children talked about production workers, service workers, and consumers.
• Fire Fighter Tony visited our classroom on Tuesday. The kids really enjoyed their time with him. He reminded all of the children to check to make sure all fire alarms were working in their homes.
• On Thursday, we met with our Bernstein Buddies in Ms. Achs' class. At this time, we focused our study on the word harmony. Harmony is our concept for the year. The children identified how they can contribute to making harmony around them. During this activity, we listened to a variety of songs and read a book that illustrated true harmony.
• The kids were very excited to have Mrs. Slavish as our Mystery Reader this week.
• Alfonso was an excellent Top Gardener.
• We began a ten day countdown to Winter Break. Ask your kids about what we are doing in our room!
What is Happening Next Week?
• Our text features for the week will be timelines, graphs, and a glossary. There will be another short check up at the end of the week. A study sheet will come home next week.
• In math, we will continue learning different strategies to add and subtract.
• On Friday, we will listen to the Vernon Hills Chamber Choir perform some holiday favorites.
• Also, on Friday we will have a sing-a-long at school.
What Can You Do at Home?
• Please help your child go through their red folder each night.
• Raz Kids should be done weekly. Please encourage your child to spend some time on this excellent resource.
• If you haven't already, please return your child's report card envelope.
• Please return library books by Friday. I know they will want something great to read over break.