Irons Jr. High Newsletter
We Are Hawks!
Week of September 8th
I am so excited to have students back on campus! As an educator we always look forward to the first day of school and this year is no different. I would like to thank all our students and parents for your hard work and dedication to completing canvas assignments over the past few weeks. We know that has been a challenge for everyone. We will continue to improve our support of all learners as we move forward in the school year.
Ramp up has gone very well this week. Your children have done a great job with all procedures that will maintain the health and safety of all students and staff throughout the school year. Please continue to encourage your child to wear a mask and maintain social distancing as much as possible.
We are asking that if a student checked out a Chromebook from Irons, or has a device at home that can be safely transported to and from school, to bring that technology fully charged daily. We are not yet equipped to provide every student with a Chromebook. Some activities will still take place on canvas while students are attending in person learning. We have used the Canvas learning platform for the last 5 years to differentiate, engage our instruction, and allow for some self-paced learning to take place within the classroom.
Those who chose remote learning will continue with their instruction through Canvas. Teachers may not be available as they were during the last four weeks because of students returning to the classroom. Remote learning may rely on more asynchronous methods - but teachers will provide the following support:
- Live zoom into a class for support and questions during scheduled class time for 25 minutes 2-3 times a week
- Recorded video lessons
- Office hours or small group sessions for more individualized support
Attendance will still be done through engaging in Canvas or communicating with your teacher daily.
Students, when you arrive on campus Tuesday, September 8th you will report to your first period class. You can locate your schedule in the SSO, student access, student information, then schedules.
Parents, you can locate the schedule in Parent Access Center.
Please review our Welcome to Irons social distancing video prior to next week.
As always please let me know if something is not right. We are working to improve every day!
We Are Hawks!
Tips for Return to In Person School
- Bring a water bottle with your name on it.
- Get your student ID from your 1st period Teacher if you have not done so. You will need it for lunch.
- Get plenty of rest and plan to be here on time. School Starts at 8:50
- Avoid car-pooling with other students unless necessary - wear face masks if social distancing cannot be achieved.
- Bring one or two masks with you to school. Gaiters are ok to wear but a cloth face mask is preferred.
- No outside deliveries for lunch.
- Wear your mask at all time
- Make this work - we want you to be in school as safely as possible - we can do all the planning in the world but we need you to help us pull it off.
Roadmap to Reopening
Face Coverings Are Required
Student Covid-19 Screening
Irons family you are valued partners in our Roadmap to Reopening Plan. In addition to wearing cloth face coverings, social distancing, washing hands, and regular cleaning and disinfecting of frequently touched surfaces, another essential element in helping slow the spread of COVID-19 at school is each parent’s commitment to screening their child daily for symptoms.
Parents are asked to keep any student exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 at home and to notify the campus at email@example.com or 936-709-8500
Please review the information and be sure to keep your child at home if he/she is exhibiting any of the symptoms described.
Please note that all campuses are closed to visitors at this time to help stop the spread of COVID-19. If you must visit a campus, we ask that you screen yourself prior to leaving your home. All visitors that come on a campus/facility will be required to use the Access Intercom System or call the front office from their vehicle. Once the reception area identifies the person and their need to be on campus, they will be allowed in the building. All visitors will be required to sign in using the visitor program. Each visitor will be asked the screening questions. If a “yes” response is given to one of the questions, the visitor will be asked to leave the campus immediately.
Parent/teacher conferences, ARDS, 504 meetings etc. Will be held virtually or by telephone when possible. Thank you for helping to keep our school community safe.
Social Distancing Procedures
Parents if you chose remote learning and decide to return to in person learning you must communicate the change with the campus first and then register for transportation again.
It can take 3-5 school days for bus transportation to become available.
For complete information on bus transportation, including bus numbers and stop times, please visit https://www.conroeisd.net/transportation/
As you plan for return to campus next week please discuss with your child the method of transportation they will ride home on the first day of school. Please double check that everyone is on the same page with transportation.
Find Student Schedules in Student and Parent Access
Volleyball tryouts will take place Wednesday September 9th through Friday September 11th.
Football Practice will start Tuesday September 8th.
Masks Are Required for Spectators at UIL Athletic Competition including outside events.
Please see the Irons Athletic Website for more information.
Irons Yearbooks On Sale Now
2020-2021 yearbooks are currently available for $45, which will be the best price of the year!
Please go to www.Balfour.com to pre-order.
Split Bell Schedule Will Promote Social Distancing
One Way Halls Will Promote Social Distancing
1. Students should log into Canvas via the Single Sign on System. To log onto the SSO follow these directions:
Step 1. Go to conroeisd.net
Step 2. Click on Conroe ISD SSO at the top of the webpage
Step 3. Log into the SSO by using the student's username and password
Step 4. Click on Canvas in the SSO
Step 5. Click on Google Drive in the SSO
Both Canvas and Google Drive should be open to make assessing curriculum easier.
2. Once in Canvas, students will see their courses. They need to engaged with every course daily. The State of Texas has a rule that for students to receive credit for a course they must be in attendance 90% of the time. They have not waived this rule for remote learning - so it is imperative that students engage in their courses when they are scheduled.
3. During Remote Learning our teachers will have synchronous time available. Please see you teachers Canvas page for times.
4. Free and Reduced Meal Application must be updated by September 24th to continue to receive services after that date. The online application only take about 15 minutes to complete, and significantly speeds up the approval process.
5. Curbside Meal Distribution will begin Thursday, August 13, breakfast and lunch meals will be available curbside at Irons for students to purchase or free to students who qualify.
We are no longer allowed by the state to distribute meals free to all students.
Meals will be available on the bus ramp Tuesdays and Thursdays 10 a.m. until noon. Multiple meals will be distributed on pick up days.
Tuesday: 2 breakfast meals/ 2 lunch meals
Thursday: 3 breakfast meals/ 3 lunch meals
A student meal card located in Parent Access must be presented to scan and identify the student when meals are picked up. The card can be printed on paper or presented electronically on a phone. No change will be made for cash transactions and any change will be applied to student's meal account.
Pre-payments can be made at https://www.myschoolbucks.com/
Meal prices and the free and reduced meal application are available on the child nutrition website. https://www.conroeisd.net/department/child-nutrition/