What's Going On In The World Of The Auburn School Baltimore
Greetings from Dr. Cage
Happy New Year! What a great first half of the school year we had. The Feast of Gratitude and our first Winter Formal was spectacular. Thank you for your continued support. As we embark on the 3rd and 4th quarter, requirements and expectations are greater with more homework and projects. Parents, please make sure you are checking all assignments and encouraging students to turn in their best work. As you know, parent-teacher conferences are coming up and communication is one of the key factors to your child’s success. I look forward to seeing all of you here for conferences. As always thanks for all that you do, and I look forward to the wonderful many things we are doing in February.
The Leadership Team Dressed to Impress at the Winter Formal
A Word from the Parent Association
- Please take a moment to complete the survey that was sent out about after-school clubs and pizza/lunch club.
- The annual fundraiser (the spring production) will be here before you know it. Please think about approaching businesses about goods and services that can be donated to our raffle table. Can you donate a few hours to teach a craft? Do you have season tickets and can donate a game? Do you have an item that others would like, but you yourself don't? It's easy to donate it to our raffle table and the proceeds go to the school! Would your friend or your local shop (coffee, grocery, cleaners, florist, etc) like to donate a gift card or an item or good?
- Try to see if you can identify potential sponsors. Sponsorship includes an ad in the Play Bill, a logo on the t-shirt, and tickets for a modest cost.
- Keep an eye out for the Auburn "Letter to our community partners" with tax and other info the donators need and want. It should be getting sent home soon.
- Keep an eye out for an email from your class parent about the class raffle baskets for the silent auction.
- The February PA meeting will be early in the month of February on a Tuesday evening phone in only at 8:30 pm. Exact date to be determined. Agenda items include the spring production and survey results.
Coffee with the Head and Parents Academy
Coffee with the Head and Parents Academy will be on Fridays from 8:30 a.m.- 9:30 a.m.
Highlights from November and December
Feast of Gratitude
First Quarter Awards
Ready to Learn
Auburn Class Swag
Parent Speaker Series
Mark Martin and Lisa Frank speaking about The IEP Process and Non-Public Funding.
Caution: Kids At Work
Auburn Students Voting
Mrs. Lyons checking the voters in.
November and December Birthdays
Holiday Spirit Week
Super Hero Day, Pajama Day, and School Spirit Day
Upcoming Events in February
Parent/Teacher Conferences- 2/1
- 2nd Quarter Awards Day- 2/8 (A special email will be sent if your student will be receiving an award)
- Share the Love Day/Candy Grams Sold- 2/14
- Coffee with the Head/Parent Academy- "The Neurobiology of Stress and Anxiety: What Parents, Teachers, and Students Need to Know" 2/15 @ 8:30 am
- Read Across America Week- 2/25-3/1
- Black History Month Gallery- 2/28 @2:30 pm
- Operation Military Gratitude (letters to the men and women of the USS John C. Stennis)
Project Based Learning
- Engages students in exploring their world through the inquiry process.
- Structures subjects around a question or a real-world problem to solve.
- Teaches students to research, plan, design and create a product or presentation of what they learned.
- Includes collaborative student work on projects, in small teams, guided by the teacher.
When there are school closing and delays, we post information on our website, Facebook page, television media sources, and send messages via email.
I have started a new group in Remind. Please use the following link to subscribe to Remind, our text alert source
Ways to Stay Connected
During the school day
- Coffee with Head chats
- Volunteer to Read to a Class
- Present at a Student Speaker Series
- Drive students during field trips
Become Socially Savvy
- Parent Speaker Series
- Parent Academy
Make A Virtual Connection
- The Auburn School Facebook Page
- The Auburn School Parent Group Facebook Page
- Remind-Text Alerts
- Parents Web (RenWeb)
- Email the Head of School
- Share Success Stories
Don't forget we are a Nut Free School.
Water Bottles at School
Please make sure students have a water bottle at school. They are allowed to refill their water bottle during the day.
Communication with Related Service Providers
Occupational Therapist (all students)
Speech & Language Pathologist (K-5, nonpublic students)
Speech & Language Pathologist (6-8, nonpublic students)
Counselor (all nonpublic students)
Physical Education Teacher (all students)
- The school doors open at 8:15 am
- School starts promptly at 8:30 am
- Dismissal begins at 3:30 pm
Parents, we are doing a little better with our late arrivals. I know that the delays and weather have played a major part in the last few months. Let's continue to try our best to get the students here on time. It may seem like 10 minutes isn’t really that much, but for the typical school day of 6.5 hours, a student who is only 10 minutes late every day will miss 30 hours of school time that year. If a child is 10 minutes late getting to school, it is more like 20 minutes until they are actually learning. The impact on the class as a whole is even larger. Let's see if we can get these numbers down.
School Spirit Days
At the Auburn School Baltimore, I want the staff to be comfortable while also incorporating some fun. So we have been dressing down on Mondays and Fridays and I would love if the students would participate as well.
Mondays- Favorite Sports Team
Fridays- School Pride (Auburn Shirt)