GLHS Counseling Department
Hits the Ground Running November 1, 2016
WHAT’S BEEN GOING ON
- September 13, 2016 “9th Grade Parent Night” @ GL
- September 19-23, 2016 “Naviance Lessons - Seniors”
- September 20, 2016 “Senior College and Financial Aid Night” @ GL
- September 29, 2016 “Back to School Night” @ GL
- October 5, 2016 “College Fair” (Every Grade) @ GL
- October 6, 2016 “Parenting your Teen in the Social Media Age” @ Summit HS
- October 19, 2016 “PSAT” (Grades 9, 10 & 11) @ GL
** Click here How to read PSAT Score
- October 25, 2016 “Junior College Night” @ GL
** If you missed these important events go to the GL School Counseling website
WHAT’S COMING UP!
- College admission counselor visitations Check Naviance for schools and dates!
- Juniors Naviance Lessons (in English class) November 14-18, 2016
- “If I Knew Then What I Know Now” (alumni panel) January 9, 2017
- 8th Grade Curriculum Night-Program of Studies Presentation January 23, 2017
- Sophomore College & Career Night January 24, 2017
- Sophomore Naviance Lessons (in English class) April 3-7, 2017
Course Selection Process
2017-2018 course selection will begin in February for all 8th-11th grade students! It is extremely important that all students review the 2017-2018 Program of Studies located on the GLHS School Counseling Department website.
● January 5, 2017 GL counselors visit Columbia & Deerfield Middle Schools, to present the Program of Studies and give guidelines for course selection
● February 6,7,8, 2017 GL counselors schedule Columbia students-more information will be sent out from middle school counselor (snow date 2.9.17)
● February 13 & 14, 2017 GL counselors schedule Deerfield students-more information will be sent out from middle school counselor (snow date 2.15.17)
● February 27,28, March 1,2,3- grade 9 students will be scheduled *
● March 6,7,8,9,10-grade 11 students will be scheduled *
● March 13,14,15,16,17- grade 10 students will be schedules *
* Tentative Dates
During PE classes on February 1 & 2, 2017, students will be given the opportunity to pre-select their electives and email them to their parent/guardian. Counselors will present information and be available for questions.
8 electives must be selected, 4 top choice and 4 alternate electives.
*Review the Program of Studies! Know what courses you need to take, review prerequisites, explore new courses you would like to try.
*Speak with your teachers! Ask for feedback for course level suggestions and recommendations.
*Speak with teachers currently teaching courses you may be interested in! What to expect in the course? How much work? What will I learn?
*Include your family in the conversation! Choosing courses for the next year is very important. Make sure that you review your options and decisions with parent/guardian.
COURSE SELECTION DECISIONS MUST BE MADE BY MARCH 26, 2017!
NO CHANGES MAY BE MADE AFTER THIS DEADLINE.
The GLHS Guidance Department
Mr. Bob Segear
TREND Club Advisor
Guitar Club Advisor
HOW TO MEET WITH YOUR COUNSELOR
- Students Send an email. When your appointment has been confirmed by your counselor, come to guidance and sign in on their clipboard. If you prefer, lunch time is a great time to drop in for quick questions or concerns.
- Parents Call or email, if you have any concerns about your child and or feel that they would benefit from a meeting with their counselor.
Fun facts about our staff
Ms. Janosko has backpacked through Europe for a month
Ms. Gold can ask how to find the bathroom in four languages, including braille
Mr. Coughlin is our Head Cross Country Coach
Mrs. Morin has traveled cross-country 4 times.
Mrs. Velelis worked as marketing manager for a French cosmetic company
Mrs. Quigley is a twin
Mr. Segear is in the ESPN 30 for 30 "The Steinbrenner Years" video (3:00 minute mark)
Mrs. Talbot loves to bake
Ms. Deva has lived in four countries
Guidance Conference Room
COLLEGE REPRESENTATIVES VISIT GL
This year approximately 100 college rep’s will come to GL from all over the country and share information about their school and programs. These meetings take place in our Guidance Conference room, which features a large map of the United States. This map often helps our students in their selection process.