LES Weekly Press
Week of August 28, 2023
Our Vision: Reimagining education, instilling community pride, inspiring future success.
Our mission: LAKEWOOD... A FAMILY-FRIENDLY, INCLUSIVE COMMUNITY DEDICATED TO EMPOWERING EVERY LEARNER THROUGH INNOVATION, COLLABORATIVE PROBLEM-SOLVING AND CONSISTENT COMMUNICATION.
Welcome to a great school year from your Lakewood Elementary Team!
Message from the Principal
Dear Hebron Families,
What a great start to pre-school, first and second grade!
Remember drop-off start at 8:30am, and if you are dropping your students off, you must go in the pick-up line in front of Jackson.
Be mindful, your child can ride a bus if you are not wanting to wait in the pick-up, drop-off line.
It is vital you give all dismissal information to the office prior to 2:30pm. We will not go off of what a child tells us.
Kindergarten parents- on Tuesday you must go through the pick-up and drop off line if your child is not riding a bus.
Thank you for your patientce and let's keep making it a great day! We are in airconditioning now, so you may want to dress your child in layers.
In this together!
29- 1st day Kindergarten
4- No School
15- Picture Day
20- Two hour delay - Doors open at 10:30am
Daily Schedule Overview
8:30- School doors open
8:50 Tardy Bell
3:25- Dismissal begins
If you plan to provide transportation to/from school for your child, please note our drop-off time is no earlier than 8:30 a.m. No staff members will be on duty for parent drop-off before 8:30 a.m. If you arrive before then, you must wait.
After 8:50 your child will need a tardy slip from the office.
Because of safety and limited visitor restrictions, families will not be able to enter the buildings with students. Thanks in advance for your understanding in this matter.
Upon arrival each day, all students will go directly to their homerooms.
Recess is scheduled after lunch each day.
Dismissal is set to begin at 3:25 for all students.
Please see below the new drop-off and pick-up procedures.
Any student signed out before 3:25 will be considered an early dismissal and this will count towards perfect attendance and total absenteeism/ truancy figures. In order to take advantage of every minute of instruction for our students, parents are asked to refrain from signing out students early except in the case of an emergency or medical appointment. Parents are asked to schedule appointments, whenever possible, at times that do not negatively impact their child’s attendance. Parents will NOT be admitted to the building to wait for pick-up students.
All student pick-ups HAVE to be picked up in a car. We cannot permit parents walking up to pick-up students from the side walk.
We'll do our best to create a smooth routine but thanks in advance for your patience in the first few days of school as we figure it all out together. Drive safely!
Drop/Off and Pick-up Procedures
Morning Drop Off
When dropping off your students to Lakewood Elementary (LES) and Jackson intermediate school (JIS), enter the driveway on the north side of JIS. Proceed in front of the building in a single file line against the curb. Please leave the left lane open. Students will exit the vehicle curbside and walk on the sidewalk, and either enter JIS on the south side of the building or enter LES by following the sidewalk, turn right, and then walk up the hill to the main entrance of LES. Staff will be assigned to help the students enter the building and get to the proper room.
When the drop off car line backs up to Lancer Road, proceed on Lancer Road and enter the high school parking lot using the south entrance to stack the overflow. We need to keep Lancer Road open for other traffic and emergency vehicles. When inside the high school parking lot, turn left in the first lane and continue to the north exit. Stop, cross Lancer Road and enter the JIS north drive when space allows.
Afternoon Pick Up
Students going home by car from both Lakewood Elementary and Jackson Intermediate Schools will enter cars in the same area of drop off, which is in front of JIS. All car riding students from LES and JIS will exit through the cafeteria door on the east side of JIS adjacent to the front drive. Students will walk to the cars starting at the stop sign. Please use extreme caution. After the first few cars, please move up. Exit by turning left at the stop sign to Lancer Road.
Again, when the pick up car line backs up to Lancer Road, proceed on Lancer Road and enter the high school parking lot using the south entrance to stack the overflow. We need to keep Lancer Road open for other traffic and emergency vehicles. When inside the high school parking lot, turn left in the first lane and continue to the north exit. Stop, cross Lancer Road and enter the JIS north drive when space allows.
We look forward to serving you and your students.
Free and Reduced Lunch Forms/Fee Waiver
Regular price- $1.50/ Reduced price- .30
Regular price- $3.00; Reduced price- .40
Milk- .50 for all
Directions for on-line free and reduced lunch application:
This form must also be completed to determine if your child qualifies for a fee waiver.
Printable Free and Reduced Lunch Application- you can turn into Lakewood office.
- Backpacks- If you need a backpack, please let the school know.
- Birthdays- Food is not permitted to celebrate birthdays. You may send in items such as pencils, stickers, bookmarks, etc. We do read your child's name over our morning announcements, and students receive a birthday book.
- Breakfast and Lunch: Breakfast is 1.50, and lunch is $3.00
- Bus: You should receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a parent portal to view bussing information and communicate directly with transportation. Please make sure to create an account.
- Car Riders: If your child is a car rider, please REMAIN in your car. Also, if their seat can be on the passenger side, that helps with pick-up and dismissal.
- Dismissal: Dismissal is at 3:25 for pick-ups. Buses begin to be called from 3:25-3:40 depending on arrival. Please make sure your child's teacher knows how he/she is getting home and proper arrangements have been made on the first day of school. It would help to have a note to the teacher on the first day as to how your child will be getting home. Student dismissal plans or changes should be submitted to the school secretary in writing or by phone before 2:30 p.m. We will not make dismissal changes based on a child's request, we must get a note, or phone call from a parent. Please have a picture ID available each time you wish to pick up your child during school hours. Those picking up students must be on the child’s registration or emergency information. This is for the safety and protection of your children. Thank you for your understanding.
- Visitors-Because we are so adamant about making sure your child is safe, we ask that you and all visitors go directly to the office when you enter the building.
- SCHOOL STARTS AT 8:50am SHARP. If you bring your child in at 8:51am, your child will be considered late and they will need to report to the office for a tardy slip. Parents, every minute counts! Please have your child to school on time, and please be mindful to minimize early leaves. House Bill 410 counts every minute and we want your child to have a great attendance record.
Classroom Teacher Emails
Make sure you also check our Lakewood ES webpage, we put a lot of information up on the website.
Hebron Office Staff
Mrs. Amy McCartney- Dean of Students
Mrs. Melissa Harkness- Secretary
Mrs. Bethany White-Secretary
Mrs. Kristina Parsley- School Counselor
Mrs. Marcella Brownlee- School Psychologist
Mrs. Amy Morrison-District Nurse
Mrs. Debbie Miller-Hebron Clinic Aide