Civil War and Reconstruction Era
- Applied to southern states that aloud slavery
- Slaves from the Confederacy were now freed
- Confederate states ignored it at first, but the Northern states now looked at the war as a crusade for freedom
- Discouraged any interference of foreign governments
- African Americans could now enlist in the army.
- The Gettysburg Address was given by President Lincoln in November 1863
- President Lincoln thought the Civil War was contradicting the fact that America was a country where “all men are created equal.”
- President Lincoln believed that America should be seen as one nation rather than a bunch of separate states.
- The South believed that since they freely joined the Union, they should be allowed to leave if they wish.