October 1st Pony News
Building a Brighter Future!
LVES Mission and Vision
Knowing our New Crew - Mrs. Troyer
Hi Pony family!
I am very excited to be a part of Lewisville Elementary and to be working with such a supportive team! This is my third year teaching as well as my third year in 5th grade. Prior to joining the Pony family I worked for a large charter school system in Dallas.
I was born in Houston, spent my elementary years in northwest Arkansas, and attended middle school and high school here in LISD. I graduated from Marcus High School in 2003.
Teaching is my second career. Before earning my degree in education from Western Governors University, I was an auto insurance agent for GEICO. While working full time as an insurance agent and attending college part time, I realized that business was not my passion, but that teaching is my passion.
My husband, Steven, is a data analyst and we have been married for four years. We have two children; Derek (who is 3 years old) and Zayne (who is five months old). My niece, Stormy, is also attending Lewisville Elementary, in the fourth grade.
How do we close the Attitude Gap?
- Grump Meter: Remember to post your Grump meters in your classrooms. Click here for some examples.
- 2 minutes connections, 90 seconds sparks and checking room temperature should be daily practices.
- ***** Based on current behavior and social emotional needs, Restorative Circles need to happen a minimum of once a week in your classrooms.
Questions to ask during during a Restorative Conversation when challenging behavior:
This video is introducing our School Wide Positive Behavior System using the app ClassDojo.
Change in Breakfast Procedures
Why: We were having some difficulty serving our 4th graders in time, as well as, the students that were arriving after the breakfast carts had left the classroom. In order to protect instructional time we will begin these new breakfast procedures this Wednesday (10/3):
4th - 5th Grades
When 4th and 5th graders come into the cafeteria in the morning, they will sit down and then get their breakfast cards. (The staff on duty will ensure this takes place.)
They will be dismissed to the maroon (4th) or blue (5th) lines.
Breakfast will begin being served at 7:25 a.m. (in grab n' go bags - easy to transport).
After 4th and 5th grade students are dismissed to their classrooms, any 4th & 5th grade student who arrives later will go to the cafeteria to collect their breakfast.
For these two grade levels only (4th & 5th) breakfast cards will be held by the cafeteria staff.
All 4th and 5th grade students will eat in the classroom.
K - 3rd grade
K-3rd grade students will be served breakfast beginning at 7:35 a.m.
If the breakfast cart has left the teacher’s classroom, send any late student to the cafeteria to get their breakfast. (This will prevent students wandering & looking for carts.)
BIC students will get their breakfast in the cafeteria if they are in 4th or 5th grade, if they are K-3rd graders, they will get breakfast in their classroom.
Students will go to the cafeteria at 7:45 a.m., after tutoring has ended, and collect their grab n’ go breakfast bag.
Students will continue to be served breakfast on Wednesday and Friday morning from the cafeteria cart. (No change)
Champion of Culture
Hello again Pony family,
I want to share with you that yesterday during principal’s Meetings, Lewisville ES was recognized as a Champion of Culture. Several people have walked our campus and they are impressed on the positive energy that our campus has. Dr. Rogers used us as an example of a Restorative Practices Campus.
I am very proud of each of you. Here is our certificate☺
Let’s celebrate with a week of jeans passes for next week. Enjoy!
We are a Professional Learning Community - TEKS & ELPS Collaboration is part of being a PLC.
CIP Connection: Goal 1: Student Learning/Performance Objective 2:
Teachers and administrators will:
- Participate in TEKS & ELPS Collaboration Sessions
- Participate in Team Meetings
- Participate in Vertical Alignment Meetings
- Participate in district professional development sessions
- Observe other classrooms (on and off campus)
- Participate in book studies
Tuesday October 2nd:
- 2nd, 5th, 1st Grades - Science Focus
- Click here to see the TEKS & ELPS Collaboration at a Glance 2018-19 Calendar.
A Peek into the LVES Handbook
Announcements and News
Pledges and the moment of silence will be made daily at 7:50 a.m. Each classroom will watch the LVES NEWS . (http://bit.ly/LVESNews ). Teachers should be role-models in watching and listening to the announcements by saying the pledges, being silent during the moment of silence, and listening to the announcements without talking.
Cell Phones and Personal Technology Devices
Cell phones and other personal devices should not be utilized during instruction time for personal reasons, unless in an emergency.
Always use your school email account when communicating with parents and students.
Please do not “friend” students on Facebook.
Do not have your cell phones on cell during ARD/RtI/504/LPAC meetings, etc.
If you want to be able to text parents, it is recommended to use the “Remind” app or text through Class Dojo instead of giving out your cell phone number.
Campus Professional Development Day
Who: All LVES staff members are required to attend
Time: 8:00 to 4:00 Please be ready to learn at 8:00 a.m.. Arrive no later than 7:45 a.m.
Lunch: 11:00 to 12:00 (on your own)
Location: Valley Creek Church/1305 TX-121 Business, Lewisville, TX 75067
Please Register: https://lew.schoolobjects.com//wshop/default.aspx?cid=27308
Our Pony Week
- College Day
- Advisory Team members/ Mrs. Valdes out for Safe and Civil Training.
- Stephanie Heim's Birthday
- TEKS & ELPS Collaboration for 2nd, 5th, and 1st grades
- Advisory Team members/ Mrs. Valdes out for Safe and Civil Training.
- Dress for Success
- Team Leaders meeting with Principal 3:15 to 4:15. (Remember we are talking about Learning by doing book study Chapter 3 and 4 Focus on the PLC continuum: Laying the foundation).
- Multilingual Coordinator on Campus
- Spirit Day
- Fundraiser Ends
- Staff Luncheon - 3rd & Specials Host
- October 4th: Announcement of staff /teacher of the month and student of the month
- October 8th: Student Holiday/ Professional Learning
- October 9th: GT Social & Emotional - Online
- October 12th: STUDENT EARLY RELEASE/ END OF 1ST NINE WEEKS
- October 15th: 1st 9 weeks grades due
- October 15-19: LISD Gives Back (United Way) Campaign
- October 15th: Homecoming Week-Martian Monday- Wear GREEN
October 16th: Homecoming Week-Martian Tuesday- Shine like a STAR- Wear NEON
October 17th: Homecoming Week-Wednesday Homecoming Shirts or/ College Shirts and Staff Learning 3:15 to 4:00/LHS Homecoming Parade 4:30
October 18th: Homecoming Week-Thursday Space Jammy Day- Wear PAJAMAS and 2nd Grade PTA Performance
October 19th: Homecoming Week-Friday- Spirit Day and 1st 9 Week Report Cards Sent Home
October 24th: United Nations Day 2018 - 19 Principal U Vertical Alignment meetings LA K-2 LF Clowns K to 2 Ms. Texas 3rd to 5th 2:00 pm
October 25th: PTA Membership/Trunk or Treat
October 31st HALLOWEEN/ READ a THON/BLT 7:15 to 8:15 Coverage will be provided
2018- 2019 Grade Posting Dates
End of 1st 9 weeks Report Card Information
It's almost Report Card time!
Enter ALL grades and comments by Monday, Oct 15 @ 11:45 p.m.
Report Cards will be printed by Wednesday, Oct. 17 and sent home on Thursday Oct. 18th
Here are a few reminders as you enter grades…
1. Assignments - All assignments should be dated Friday, Oct. 12 or before. So, if you are entering grades after Friday, please make sure the date of the "assignment" and "due date" is Friday, Oct. 12 or before.
2. Language Arts Combined/Language Arts Average- After you have entered all of your Spelling, Writing, and Reading grades, please open your Language Arts Combined Class. This will ensure it weights each grade accurately.
3. Enter your "Life Skills."
4. Write Comments for your students that are descriptive comments helping summarize students' progress towards their academic goals.
-To enter comments in Skyward…
- Open your Life Skills, and click on comments. You will see 1st Nine Weeks, Post Comments.
Tutoring Attendance Spreadsheet
- Continue to fill out the Tutoring attendance spreadsheet for title one data purposes.
- Each teacher is expected to be tutoring on Tuesday & Thursday afternoons from 3:15-3:45 p.m. (after duty).
- Thank you to everyone who helped make Grandparents day a success! You are greatly appreciated. :)
- Mrs.Boston: Thank you for taking me to get lunch after school! You're an amazing mentor.
- Thank you Mr.Ledesma, Mr.Colon, and Mr.Berg for taking on additional students while a teacher was out. Your flexibility and willingness does not go unnoticed!
- A huge shout out to Ms.Frazier for allowing my fifth grade class to adopt her kindergarten class! Your kindness, patience, and willingness to collaborate with me is greatly appreciated. You're awesome!
- Thank you Mrs.Wooster and Ms.Jones for everything you do to support our students! You're patience and kindness is greatly appreciated!
- Thank you Mrs.Lopez for being my mentor and always making sure I'm in the loop! Your willingness to help has helped me immensely.
- Mrs.Kilam: Thank you for taking time out of your day to spend with our fifth graders! They will always remember the love and kindness you have shown them.
- Thank you Mrs.Valdes, Mrs. Burleson, Mrs. Simpson, and Ms. Lawson for always being available when I need your guidance. You're an awesome administration team!
- Thank you 2nd grade team for jumping in to help with 5th grade car dismissal when our teachers were out! You all are AWESOME!
- A huge thank you to the 3rd grade and 4th grade team for allowing my students to come in and help out other students during lunch. You have helped create a great learning experience for them!
- Thank you to all the instructional support staff who help our 5th grade ponies be successful.
- Thank you Coach W for taking 30 minutes of your day to throw the football with one of my students. Your kindness and efforts are greatly appreciated.
- A huge thank you to the Special Education team for all that you have done to make sure our students are getting the support they need to be successful! You all ROCK!
- Mrs.Oden: Thank you for all that you have done to support the 5th grade team! You have helped out immensely.
- Thank you Mrs.Zamora, Mrs. Hays, Mr. Thomas, Coach Green, Mrs. Kelly, and Coach W for all that you do! From instructional support to dismissal you all are always there to lend a helping hand. :)
- Thank you Mr.Ledesma for providing me with lunch 2 days this week!
- Ms.Lawson: thank you for being available! You are always there to support.
- Thank you Mrs.Gray and Mrs.Frazier for the kind notes you gave to me. Your kind words truly impacted my day.
- Yvette Bernal: thank you for showing love and support to our students! They love that you stop and hug them in the hallways.
- Mrs.Salazar and Mrs. Arocha: Thank you for providing the best Dyslexia services in the entire district! Your hard work and dedication truly makes a difference.
- Thank you to all the staff members who helped make the LLI training a success.
- Thank you Mrs. Ramos and Ms.Vando for jumping in to help with Grandparents day!
- Mrs.Kelly: thank you for going the extra mile and providing tutoring for 5th grade science. You have made a HUGE difference on our campus!
- Ms. Norton, Ms. Echevarria, and Ms. Green- You ladies have done so much to help our students in the short amount of time we have been in school. Thank you for always being there to help our students.
- Mrs. Guerrero, Mrs. Stolinsky, Mrs. Ramage, Mrs. Rubio, and Ms. Vando: Thank you for being the best office staff in the district. You ladies are the backbone of LVES :)
- Nurse Rachael: Thank you for providing Scoliosis Screenings for the 5th grade girls! You are a great example of the saying, "It takes a village..."
- Gladys Diaz for represent first grade by presenting AVP activities.
- First grade team for being so flexible as we review dismissal, lunch and recess procedures.
- Mrs. Chantay Crawley for participating on Saturday with the LVES School and Community Bash
- Mr. Thomas- amazing job with the third grade performance!!
- Mrs. Wooster, Naik, and Sayers for always being there to help out with my kids. Your help and support are greatly appreciated.
- Mrs. VHernandez for helping us complete our digital lessons!
- Mr. Reed for supporting my class during Pony Time!
- Mr. Frosch for being THE best buddy to laugh with!
- Specials team for taking my classes when I was out sick.
- Ms.Crawley, Ms.Wier and Ms.Sammon for being so flexible with counseling as crazy scheduling situiations arise!
- Thank you Mrs. Lopez, Mrs. Boston, Mrs. Hernandez, and Mrs. Rutherford (You all are a class act!!!)
- Thank you Mrs. Ramos for helping with the STAFF SWAP (bookshelf)!
- Thank you Ms. Davis for keeping your smile (it's inspiring)!
- Thank you Ms. Becker, Mr. Houston, Ms. Scott, Mr. Dixson, & Ms. Scruggs for always being a "walkie-talkie" away!!!
- Thank you Ms. Rowland and "Officer" Oden for stepping in when we needed extra support.
- Thank you to all the people who signed up for the BIGGEST LOSER CHALLENGE! We are going to do this with great success!
- Thank you to the church who brought all those desserts.
- Thank you Ms. Ramage and Mrs. Vando for helping me research information on a student.
- Thank you to the sunshine committee for putting up the "SHOUT-OUT" bags! (They look great!)
- Thank you to the person who brought me Jason Deli's on Friday!
- Thank you Ms. Lawson for buying Pizza on Thursday.
- Thank you 2nd & 3rd grade teachers for having your RTI papers ready!
- Shout-Out to "D.J. Laura Norton" for setting up the music in the halls on Friday. Our Ponies loved it!
- Shout out to Ms. Rockne, Mrs. Wallace, and Mrs. Holder for supporting our new tutor.
- Shout out to everyone reading this...YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION!
- Shout out to Mrs. McKensey for giving me a good laugh!
- Shout-out to every teacher and instructional support who steps in and helps (even when it's not your student or on your schedule). Thank you!!!
- Shout-out to our counselors & Ms. Green for showing up and supporting (like out of no where)! Thank you!
- Shout out to Ms. Snell who stays in the trenches and keeps a smile and relaxed demeanor. Thank you!
- Thank you Ms. Scott & Ms. Becker who keep a smile regardless.
- Thanks to our instructional support for all you are doing to make Pony Time go smoothly! (You all are valued!)
- Shout-out to Principal Valdes, I know the weight of responsibility is not light; however, you continue to do what's best for our students & invest heavily in our teachers. (Thank you!)