By Sanjana Katwala
- south of Turkey and Greece
- about 3,572 square miles
- Kyrenia Moutnain is along the northern coast and the Troodos is toward the middle of the southwest
- Mesaoria Plains up north, below the Kyrenia
- best time to visit= November-February, it isn't hot
- temperatures up to 100 degrees Fahrenheit
- some snow in the Troodos-about 40 inches of rain per year
- mild wind in the Mesaoria Plains with 12-16 inches of rain each year
- hot, sunny and dry
- Greek Orthodox, Muslim
- languages- Greek, Turkish, and English
- New Years-fireworks and fun parties. They eat a special cake for good blessings
- 25 March-Greek National Day-parade
- 1 October: Independence Day of Greece
- 29 October-Turkish National Day-parade
- Christmas-christmas carols, parties. family time, special fruit cake
Food-Grilled Houllami Cheese
Grilled Houllami Cheese recipe by Bobby Flay
1/2 pound chunk Halloumi
2 tablespoons picked oregano leaves
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 grilled lemon, juiced
Pita bread, grilled
Brush the cheese with olive oil and place onto a medium hot grill for 2 minutes on each side.
When done, remove and slice into 1/2-inch pieces.
Sprinkle with oregano. Drizzle the olive oil and lemon juice over the cheese.
Serve with grilled pita bread or a salad
flight, roundtrip per person is $2,205 from chicago to Paphos
check in may 4th and check out may 8th
2 rooms for 2 guests
rated 4.5 stars
family friendly, luxury, elegant Almyra hotel near the city of Paphos, which is the number 1 tourst destination in Cyprus
Air Conditioning, Lounge, non smoking, Fitness center, Free parking, Free Breakfast, a restarant, room service, pool, a spa, and FREE WIFI
Most popular cities
Things to do…
kato paphos archaeological park tour
dive in the coral bay
Coral bay dive
Kato Paphos Archaeological Park
- religious building
- built in the 11th century
- was burnt down
- in the Marathasa region in the West
- most richest and lavish Monastery
- first president of Cyprus served here
Kato Paphos Archaeological Park
- Start of a plan to protect the archaeological remains
- for tourists to learn
- includes sites from prehistoric times to the Middle Ages and Roman period
- there are mosaic floors and roman houses
- "Saranta Kolones" (Forty Columns) Fortress
- early Christian Basilica
- "Tombs of the Kings".
- The play Othello by William Shakespeare takes place here
- The shores are believed in Greek mythology to be where Aphrodite was born
- Commandaria, a popular drink made specially in Cyprus is from 800 BC
"Cyprus." Every Culture. Advameg, 2015. Web. 2 May 2015. <http://www.everyculture.com/Cr-Ga/Cyprus.html>.
"Dive Cites." Coral Bay Divers. Coral Bay Divers, 2015. Web. 2 May 2015. <http://www.coralbaydivers.com/divesites.php>.
Flay, Bobby. "Grilled Houllami Cheese." Food Network. Television Food Network G.P., 2015. Web. 2 May 2015. <http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/grilled-halloumi-cheese-recipe.>.
"Important Dates and Festivals in Cyprus." My Destination. My Destination, 2015. Web. 2 May 2015. <html://www.mydestination.com/cyprus/usefulinfo/6177973/important-days-and-festivals-in-cyprus>.
"Information About Cyprus." Webpath. Queen's University Belfast, 2008. Web. 2 May 2015. <http://webpath.follettsoftware.com/resource/viewurl?encodedUrl=keZ8pL8j9gKBTdMZILLCosXSMuthzdtezI3Ladx_YeY&version=1&appsignature=Destiny&appversion=220.127.116.11+%2812_0_RC3%29>.
"Paphos Archaeological Park." Visit Paphos. N.p., n.d. Web. 2 May 2015. <http://www.visitpafos.org.cy/archaeological_park.aspx>.
"Republic of Cyprus." Culture Grams. ProQuest, 2015. Web. 2 May 2015. <http://online.culturegrams.com/world/world_country.php?contid=5&wmn=Europe&cid=223&cn=Cyprus>.