Monthly MOAHPERD Membership Newsletter
May 2017 Edition
The Prez Says "Relax"
Another way that I have helped myself rejuvenate my passion for teaching is by spending time during the summer months growing my knowledge of health and physical education content, new activities, and technology. I enjoy reading SHAPE America's JOPERD and Strategies periodicals, web-surfing, reading books, and attending workshops. I would encourage everyone to make some time to read and increase your understanding of of the following hot topics in our profession:
- Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child Model - Learn about ways which schools can work collaboratively to develop the whole child through supporting their health and wellness. Click here to learn more.
- Comprehensive School Physical Activity Program - Learn about ways which schools can share the responsibility of increasing levels of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity in our youth. Click here to learn more.
- Skills-based Health Education - Learn about a different approach to teaching health education through health skills versus health content. Learn more on the SHAPE America website (click here for direct link).
Below are some of my recommended resources for personal reading and/or professional growth:
- St. Louis or Kansas City Summer HPE Workshop - Click here to learn more about the awesome HPE professionals presenting their wisdom on July 11th and July 12th. We have another all-star lineup of presenters from Wisconsin and Virginia.
- Worthwhile Websites - There is a wealth of HPE professional publications and webinars on the SHAPE America website (www.shapeamerica.org).
- Good Book - No Sweat by Michelle Segar speaks to the importance of finding ways to be intrinsically motivated to be physically active.
Finally, I want to thank the schools who participated in the Missouri 1 Million Strong Challenge during the first week of May (National Physical Fitness and Sport Week). The winner of the $100 Gopher gift certificate was Boone Trail Elementary (Wentzville School District). The MOAHPERD Executive Committee will be meeting this summer to discuss a logic model for the future of this state-wide initiative. I look forward to sharing our discussions and decisions with you in the next HPE-Connect. Search for #MO1MillionStrong on Twitter and check out the school postings.
Have a great summer and don't forget to join us at the HPE Summer Workshops in July and the 2017 MOAHPERD Convention in November.
Let's G-R-O-W together!
Friday, Nov. 10th, 8am to Sunday, Nov. 12th, 10am
The Lodge of Four Seasons
- Andy Horne (National Health TOY)
- Andy Milne (National Health TOY)
- Mike Doyle (National Adapted PE TOY)
- Scott Williams (National Dance TOY)
- Carly Wright (SHAPE America)
- Jim Deline (US Games Keynote Presenter)
REGISTER NOW AT www.moahperd.org.
RESERVE ROOMS AT 1-800-THE-LAKE.
Rappin' Andy Horne Presents at MOAHPERD Convention
Deadline is June 9th to submit a presentation for the 2017 state convention.