Shaken to the "CORE"!!!
The 2015 Nepal earthquake
It was the worst natural disaster to strike Nepal since the 1934 Nepal-Bihar earthquake
And in this flyer we are going to know more about How it happened?,What all happened? and What to do when faced in a situation like this severe one?......
HOW IT HAPPENED??
Reasons in terms of plate movements.
- The Nepal earthquake occurred because of the two converging plates:The Indian plate and The overriding Eurasia plate.
- The Indian plate converged with eurasia at the rate of 2 inches per year towards the north-northeast, driving the uplift of the Himalayan mountain range.
- The earthquake had a depth of 7 miles.
WHAT ALL HAPPENED???
Amount of casualities and destruction
- 8,673 were reported officially dead
- 21,954 were reported severely injured.
- Thousand of houses were destroyed with villages flattened.
- Several Pagodas a UNESCO heritage site collapsed as well as the Dhrahara tower, Manakamana Temple and so many heritage sites were also lost.
- A huge damage was caused to the property and the lives of the people.
WHAT TO DO WHEN IN A SITUATION LIKE THIS ONE?
Measures to be taken by the people if caught in an earthquake of large magnitude
- Know the risks and get prepared before the announcement of an occurring of an earthquake.
- Teach everybody in the family or whoever you live with.
- Have an emergency/first aid kit if any emergency occurs for at least 72 hours.
- Locate beds and chairs away from chimneys or windows.
- During the earthquake, if you are indoors" DROP,COVER AND HOLD ON"
- Drop under haevy furniture such as a table etc.
- Cover your head to prevent being hit by falling objects
- Hold on to the object that you are under so that you remain covered.
- When outdoors,got o an open area where no buildings are close by.
- When in crowded place take cover where you won't be hit by falling objects or buildings etc.When in vehicle pull over to a safe place where you are not blocking the rad.Keep roads clear for rescue and emergency vehicles to go through.
Challenges faced by the rescue team!!
- About 90% of soldiers from the Nepalese army were sent to the stricken ares.
- By May 1st,2015,international aid agencies like Medecins Sans Frontiers(Doctors without Borders) and the Red Cross were able to evacuate the critically wounded by helicopter.
- Volunteers used crisis mapping to help plan emergency aid work.
- Emergency workers were able to identify men under the destructions and rescue them using advanced heartbeat detection.
- An international team of rescuers from several countries using FINDER DEVICES found many trapped civilians.
I'm ready to listen!!!