Argument against Forced Marriage
Facts & Statistics
- 14 million girls under the age of 18 marry each year
- Because of gender inequality males are typically the one who gives the orders and are the abusers.
- Forced marriages commonly occur in developing countries such as Niger, Chad, Mali, Bangladesh and many others but are not unheard of in countries such as the UK and even the United States.
- 60% + of Marriages in countries like the ones listed above are early (under 18) & forced marriages.
- Gender Inequality is one of the reasons to blame for the cause of forced marriages.
- Violence and forced sexual relations are common.
What we think about Forced Marriages
Average divorce rate globally on arranged marriages 4 %
India divorce rate 1.1 %
Global divorce rate for arranged marriages 6 %
Average number of years older the male is from the female in an arrange marriage 4.5 years
Percent of marriages in India that are arranged 90 %
Percent of marriages in the world that are arranged 55 %
Percent of U.S. men between the age of 40 and 50 who have never been married 14 %
Percent of U.S. women between the age of 40 and 50 who have never been married 10 %