FIRST GRADE NEWS
February 25, 2016
It was a terrific day for our field trip to the Outdoor Learning Center! Thank you to our moms and a dad who were our chaperones.
Please see below for weekly reminders and updates:
PICTURE DAY! Tuesday, March 1st:
- Lifetouch will be taking CLASS GROUP pictures. The groups are $13 each, payable on picture day or online at www.mylifetouch.com - picture ID DO425236G0. The order form for class pictures is going home today. Please return on or before Tuesday, March 1st. There is also a form attached to the order form for you to fill out if you have notes or requests for the photographer regarding your child’s individual picture. If you have any questions, please call Lifetouch directly at 214-358-4444.
- LIFETOUCH will also take individual Spring candid pictures. A proof of your child’s individual picture will be sent home in about 2 weeks for you to view and purchase from.
- On March 30th, 1st Grade will visit the Plano Children's Theatre.
- If you are interested in being a chaperone, please email your child's teacher.
SCIENCE SUPPLIES - Friday, March 4th
- It’s that time again! We are going to be gathering more science and engineering supplies for our last two units of the year!! We will begin the “Exploring Environments” and “Designing Hand Pollinators” units after Spring break and are requesting that materials be donated no later than Friday, March 4th .
- Below is a link with the materials we are in need of. If you are interested in donating supplies, please select an item for the sign-up sheet. Also, please pay attention to the size and amount we will need. If you have any questions please let me know! Thank you for all of your support this year!
- If it is below 40 degrees (actual temperature or wind chill), recess will be indoors. That being said, we will go outside if the temperature or wind chill is above 40 degrees.
- At 10:30 it is still pretty chilly so please send your child to school with a coat, gloves, and hat if necessary. Sometimes their sweatshirts don't seem warm enough. :-)
- When it is dark in the morning, it's sometimes hard to get going. Mrs. Allen shared an informative chart that emphasizes children's need for sleep. Check it out below to see if your child is getting enough zzzs.
- We have started a new topic, "Comparing and Ordering Numbers to 120." We are using place value blocks such as tens rods and ones cubes to represent numbers.
LANGUAGE ARTS/SOCIAL STUDIES:
- This week, we are identifying and describing leadership roles such as the mayor, governor, and president.
- We are reviewing fiction and non-fiction selections from the past five weeks. To retell a selection, we have focused on identifying the details and main idea.
- This week, we are continuing our air and space unit with a focus on the Sun, stars, and seasons.
February 29-March 4th: Dr. Seuss Week!
Tuesday, March 1: Class Picture Day
Thursday, March 3rd: Open House @ 6:00
Monday, March 7th-Friday, March 11th: Spring Break!!!
March 30: Field Trip to the Plano Children's Theatre