Health and Wellness Newsletter
LET'S GET WALKING!
Get Moving: Easy Tips to Get Active
It's usually convenient, comfortable and safe to work out at home. It allows your children to see you being active, which sets a good example for them. You can combine exercise with other activities, such as watching TV. If you buy exercise equipment, it's a one-time expense and other family members can use it. It's easy to have short bouts of activity several times a day.
Try these tips:
- Work in the garden or mow the grass. Using a riding mower doesn't count! Rake leaves, prune, dig and pick up trash.
- Go out for a short walk before breakfast, after dinner or both! Start with 5-10 minutes and work up to 30 minutes.
- Walk or bike to the corner store instead of driving.
- When walking, pick up the pace from leisurely to brisk. Choose a hilly route. When watching TV, sit up instead of lying on the sofa. Or stretch. Better yet, spend a few minutes pedaling on your stationary bicycle while watching TV. Throw away your video remote control. Instead of asking someone to bring you a drink, get up off the couch and get it yourself.
- Stand up while talking on the telephone.
- Walk the dog.
- Park farther away at the shopping mall and walk the extra distance. Wear your walking shoes and sneak in an extra lap or two around the mall.
- Stretch to reach items in high places and squat or bend to look at items at floor level.
- Keep exercise equipment repaired and use it!
Search Out Groups in your Area……or create one!
Track Your Steps - Competition
“It is Health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.” – Mahatma GandhiJoin us as we walk towards a healthier lifestyle. Track your steps daily using a fitness tracker such as a pedometer, jawbone up, fitbit, or track on paper. Use the Track Your Steps link to submit your steps for the month. The soror with the most steps at the end of the month will be recognized and receive a prize at the next general body meeting.
Sorors are also encouraged to track your daily food intake. Suggested food app trackers include the Lose It App, My Fitness Pal, or just keep a daily log on paper. Click here for tips on healthy eating. You want to get a head start...here are some tips to kick starting your healthy eating plan for the holidays. Finally, don't forget your water! Learn more about the myths and facts of water intake here.