John Muir High School
Early College Magnet
Hello Mustang Families!
Monday, September 20 is an Odd Day, therefore students will attend their Odd classes and Seminar. 1st period class will begin at 10:20.
Daily Health Screenings
To ensure the safety of our students and staff, all members of our school community must conduct a Daily Health Screening before entering campus. To expedite this screening as you enter school, you may conduct a self-screening at home by asking yourself the following questions:
- Do I have a fever?
- Do I have a cough?
- Am I experiencing shortness of breath or difficulty breathing?
- Am I experiencing any other symptoms?
- Have I been in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 14 days?
- In the last two weeks, have I been directed to quarantine, isolate or take a COVID-19 test?
If you answer yes to any of these questions, and/or you are feeling sick you need to stay home and contact our main office. If you can’t speak to someone right away, please leave a message. We also recommend that you contact your medical provider.
Our First School Site Council Meeting will be held online on Tuesday at 4:30pm. Please click here for the agenda. If you would like to join the meeting please click here.
On Wednesday, starting at 5:00pm, we will have a financial aid night. This event is for all high school parents and guardians. Please come out and learn more about Financial Aid from all of our counselors. Click here to join the meeting. Please see the flyer below for more information.
Last chance for Make Up ID Photos. If you have not taken a photo for your ID or Yearbook, we will have our photographer here on Thursday. Students will be called out of class to take their photos.
If you are interested in being a part of John Muir’s African American Parent Council, please email Allisonne Crawford at Allitunes@yahoo.com
The John Muir Orchestra is starting up again and students of all levels are welcome! Instruments will be provided with all of your coaching as well. Meetings will take place on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the Band Room from 7:30am-8:15.
In sports this week, On Tuesday our Girls Volleyball teams will play at Crescenta Valley. On Thursday our Cross Country team will have a meet at Crescenta Valley Park and our JV Football team will play Cathedral at Muir. On Friday our Varsity Football team will have a home game vs. Cathedral. If you are planning to come to the football game you can purchase your tickets online at https://gofan.co/app/events/392836?schoolId=CA18875 Please check our website for all of our game times.
Don’t forget to wear your college gear on Monday and your Blue and Gold on Friday to show your school spirit.
For more information regarding any of these events or other questions, please call us at (626) 396-5600.
Have a great week, and go Mustangs!
PTSA Water and Snack Drive
Next Week's Activities
PUSD Updates and Announcements
How to Conduct a Symptom Check BEFORE Leaving Home
Before leaving home all students, employees and parents must conduct a self check. Ask yourself these questions:
Do I have a fever?
Do I have a cough?
Am I experiencing shortness of breath or difficulty breathing?
Am I experiencing any other symptoms?
Have I been in contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 14 days?
In the last two weeks, have I been in close contact with someone who has COVID-19?
If you respond "yes" to any of the questions, you must stay home and it is recommended that you contact your primary care physician for further medical advice. If you have a fever with cough or shortness of breath, you are urged to contact your primary care physician as these symptoms may be attributed to COVID-19. To protect others, stay home, wear a facemask when you seek medical care and follow the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health’s Home Isolation Instructions. For more detailed symptom self-checker visit the Los Angeles County Public Health Department’s COVID-19 Symptom page.
John Muir High School Early College Magnet Tours
Due to current health guidelines in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, John Muir High School is unable to conduct in person tours during the school day. However, we will be providing dates for in person tours at the end of the school day as well as online tours. Please check our website for those dates. The after school/in person tours are limited to four families per tour - so sign up NOW! Learn all about our Career-Theamed Academies and the Early College Program at JMHS. Pusd.us/MuirTours
Mustang Counseling Corner!
OTHER NEWS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS!
Football Tickets Online!
Buy your tickets for the John Muir High School varsity football games. Please go to https://gofan.co/app/events/389883?schoolId=CA18875. Even if you can't go, please consider buying a ticket or two in order to support the program and our school.
2021-2022 Bell Schedule
Generation Green meets Thursdays during lunch in the Senior Quad.
Class of 2022 meets on Mondays as needed in Room G226 during lunch
Class of 2023 will meet September 23 at lunch.
Choir Club meets on even Mondays (B Mondays) in room D405 at 9:00AM
LGBTQ Club meets on Wednesdays at lunch in room A136
FBLA meets the last Thursday of every month during lunch in Room A116
Movie Club meets in Room G225 Mondays after school at 3:45PM
The Art Center
Announcement: ACX Teens’ 10-week classes are coming up.
Everything below is about 10 week classes on Saturdays:
- ACX Teens had a scholarship deadline last week on September 2, but there’s also a second scholarship deadline on September 23.
- To apply for a scholarship, it’s still just a completed registration form with family income. (No portfolio or letter of recommendation is needed. We are extending our COVID scholarship policies.)
- ACX Teens classes remain 100% online as they wait out the Delta variant. Some classes may be offered in-person in Spring 2022, but that’s not a guarantee, and many will remain on Zoom.
- Click on the ACX Teens registration form to register.
- Students please be aware, ACX is not sure if the 5-week classes will happen and to consider the 10-week classes on Saturdays.
Club 21 Scholar - Volunteer Opportunities
Club 21 Scholar wants to invest in 10 PUSD high school juniors or seniors, who will be a part of a mentor program that will discuss the intersection of race and disability, make connections with Club 21 families, learn from professionals in the fields that serve our families (Educators, therapists, artists etc), and have opportunities for internships. At the end of the year the scholars will receive a scholarship of $1000 for their future education.
This is a wonderful opportunity for high school students. For more information, here is a link to their website and applications Club 21 Scholars Program.
College Access Plan (CAP)
College Access Plan (CAP) helps PUSD students and families navigate the college process, supporting them from middle school through college graduation. At CAP, there are no requirements for participation, no barriers to higher education, and no limits to what students can achieve.
CAP serves students at all PUSD high schools and offers free drop-in college advising. We also offer two enrolled courses: a College Essay Writing Intensive for seniors in the fall, and a College 101 for Juniors workshop series in the spring.
Our doors are always open to any student to:
- Explore career pathways and college majors
- Identify colleges that match their interests and needs
- Work on college applications
- Write and review personal statements and college essays
- Craft a college and/or professional resume
- Submit financial aid applications (FAFSA and CA Dream Act)
- Identify and apply to scholarships
- Compare financial aid offers
- Navigate college enrollment
- Apply for pre-college summer programs
- Anything college-related!
CAP's College Essay Writing Intensive
NACAC Virtual College Fairs
COVID-19 has limited the opportunities for your students to visit, learn about, and connect with colleges. NACAC aim's to bridge that gap through these special one-day virtual events.
More than 100,000 students and families signed up for NACAC virtual fairs this past spring. Students give them an enthusiastic "thumbs up" because it's so easy to chat live with college representatives or drop in on live Zoom sessions offered by hundreds of colleges on a single day.
At each virtual fair, students can attend presentations by colleges, ask questions, and demonstrate interest... all without leaving home.
We encourage you to register for free at virtualcollegefairs.org.
If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Community service and internship hours available!
- ALL students are welcome to join our pledge to protect and preserve our planet.
- Do you wonder what you can do to make a difference in the fight to stop climate change?
- Refreshments served!
- Questions? Contact Mrs. Lake G226 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
John Muir High School PTSA
- 9/20 - All Sports Covid Testing
- 9/21 - Girls JV and Varsity Volleyball
- 9/22 - After School Tour
- 9/22 - Financial Aid Night 5-7PM
- 9/23 - PTSA Water and Snack Drive for the Wellness Center
- 9/23 - Cross Country
- 9/23 - Boys JV Football
- 9/24 - Boys Varsity Football
- 9/24 - Staff Development NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
- 9/27-10/1 - LatinX Spirit Week
- 10/2 - Drive In Movie Night