John Muir High School
Early College Magnet
Hello Mustang Families,
Here is your update for the upcoming week.
Monday, October 19 is an Odd Day. 1st period will start online at 8:30.
College Access Plan is excited to host an information session with the University of Southern California on Thursday, October 22 at 6:30pm. To register, use the QR code in the flyer below (CAP) or go to: https://applyto.usc.edu/register/collegeaccessplan.
Young & Healthy is offering a Mobile Dental Clinic to families in Pasadena October 22 through October 30. Please see the flyer below in "other announcements" for more information.
Get your free flu shot. The Pasadena Unified School District and the Pasadena and Los Angeles County Health Departments are offering Free Flu Clinics to our community. A list with locations, as well as, dates and times of the free flu clinics are included on the flyer below in "other announcements". We will even have a clinic at Muir on Wednesday, October 28 and Thursday, October 29.
Don’t forget to wear your college gear on Monday, as every Monday is College Day, and your Blue and Gold on Friday to show your school spirit.
For more information regarding any of these events or other questions, please call us at (626) 396-5600.
Thank you, have a great week, and go Mustangs!
John Muir High School Early College Magnet Parent Information Night and Virtual School Tour
Please join us for our JMHS Early College Magnet Parent Information Night and virtual school tour on Tuesday, November 17, 2020. We will begin the presentation at 5:00 PM. Please go to our website and sign up now! Pusd.us/MuirTours
Prospective John Muir High School Parent Meet and Greet
John Muir High School Early College Magnet Tech Support
Other Technology Updates and Reminders
PUSD Helpdesk Reminders:
- Parents/Guardians can now submit support tickets for their students by sending an email to email@example.com
- Call Helpdesk for support or to submit a ticket. They are available Monday - Friday from 7:00am - 7:00pm. Call (626)396-3699
- Students and staff can still submit support tickets at gopusd.com/helpdesk
New and Transferred Students:
Once enrolled it can take a student 24-48 hrs to gain access to all of our instructional applications. If, after that time, your student is still not able to access their applications, please submit a support ticket with our helpdesk.
How to Clear Your Cache
A few issue being seen on our devices can be fixed by simply clearing your cache. Our ITS Techs will often recommend this when helping user troubleshoot issues. You can follow the steps outlined below to start when troubleshooting on your own.
1. On your chromebook, open Chrome
2. At the top-right, open Chrome
3. Click More tools > Clear browsing data
4. At the top, choose a time range. To delete everything, select All time.
5. Next to 'Cookies and other site data' and 'Cached images and files', tick the boxes.
6. Click Clear Data
Mustang Counseling Corner!
Virtual College Fairs
Virtual College Fairs are FREE and open to view for long periods of time. Unlike in-person fairs, you can search colleges by attributes that are important to you, return to watch recorded presentationslater, and download materials from colleges...all from the comfort of home!
Calendar of virtual college fairs: https://www.gotocollegefairs.com/fair-planners/calendar.asp
On Monday October 12th and Monday November 9th, PCC Outreach will be hosting evening Information Sessions where students, parents, and community members can learn about:
- PCC Campus / Services Available
- Transfer Opportunities
- How to Get Started with PCC
- Benefits of Attending a Community College
- An opportunity to participate in our Q & A
- …and more!
If there are questions, please do not hesitate to reach out! As always, thank you for your continued support.
PCC Study Hall
Study Hall for PCC classes is available! Come and get help with your PCC classes. Click on the LINKS to be directed to the WebEx for Study Hall or other PCC resources.
Tips on how to be successful in your PCC Class:
- Make sure to check PCC Canvas on a daily basis.
- Not all PCC classes meet during the scheduled high school period. This is why it is important to check Canvas for updates and links to class, if any.
- Remember, this is a college course, YOU are responsible for completing the work and communicating directly with your professor about assignments or other concerns using the Canvas "Inbox" feature.
- Your chromebook has been unlocked to access the PCC domain.
- If you are having issues logging into your PCC account on your chromebook, please make sure that you are using your PCC email and your Lancer Point password.
- Your email is your PCC username plus @go.pasadena.edu.
PCC Study Hall:
- Study hall is open on a drop-in basis on Mondays from 11am-1pm and Fridays from 2:30-4:00pm.
- In study hall, we can help you navigate your PCC class and help you with upcoming assignments.
Ms. Issa's Graduate Defense Artifact Selections Video
Other Senior News and Announcements
Quick reminder that if you are applying to any universities in California or on the Common App, to launch the applications through californiacolleges.edu. Make sure to register for an account first if you haven't already. If you need any help on navigating the website, please let me know!
Here are some events coming up for the month of October:
10/7-10/28: College Access Plan (CAP) SAT Prep
- While many colleges and universities are test-optional for the 2020-21 application season, College Access Plan (CAP) has heard from parents and students that it would still be helpful to have a free test prep class for the fall. Priority for the class will go to seniors, but students in grades 9-11 may apply.
The application is available online: http://rebrand.ly/capsat20, with a deadline of Monday, October 5. All students must also submit a release form, which will be emailed to the parent/guardian after the application is received. Questions? Email High School Programs Manager, Katie Jumbe: firstname.lastname@example.org.
10/12-10/24: Black Recruitment and Retention Center of UC
Berkeley Highway 5 to Higher Ed Program
- BRRC will be hosting a series of virtual information sessions coupled with interactive learning modules for prospective Black students from the state of California through the very first SoCal - NorCal virtual recruitment trip titled “Highway 5 to Higher Ed”! This recruitment trip is designed to bridge the gap between low-income Black students and colleges and universities, but ALL Black students, in all school years, should apply. They will be hosting weekly information sessions beginning on October 12th and ending on October 24th, 2020. This free program will include, along with the interactive modules, live virtual sessions with UC Berkeley students, financial aid and admissions advisors, giveaways, care packages, and more!
- An overview of the program schedule can be found here.
Students should register here. Deadline is Monday, October 5th at 11:59pm
10/19: College Application Workshop
- California State University (CSU) App @ 12pm-2pm
- Meeting link: https://pusd.webex.com/pusd/j.php?MTID=m71b5377bfbde93a68da89d92255cefae
- Password: muircounseling
As always, if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out! If you have anything to promote for ASB, a club or sport, etc., feel free to email it to me with the info and I can include it in future emails/instagram posts. Our counseling IG is @ mustangcounseling, follow us for updates!
Make an Appointment: https://martinezconsuelo.setmore.com/
College Access Plan (CAP)
Understanding CSU Admissions for 2021
College Essay Competition
ASB Virtual Student Announcements and More
Armory for the Arts
Art Center College of Design
Art Center College of Design is offering 4 classes for 5 weeks to students from 2:15- 3:30 PM, 3 days a week, starting on November 3, 2020. Please contact Ms. Cynthia Lake at email@example.com for an more information and an application.
Intro to Characters
Tuesdays, Nov. 3 – Dec. 8 (No classes: Nov. 24)
Learn to develop characters from the inside out starting with simple shapes and working to more complex shapes. Work on sketching characters from different angles and do a bust turnaround.
Wednesdays, Nov.4 -Dec. 9 (No classes: Nov. 25)
Create stylized fashion sketches that are bold and expressive, yet loose and casual. Learn anatomical exaggerations and explore various methods and mediums to develop your own unique style and vision for fashion. This is a fun and creative sketching workshop.
Filmmaking from Script to Screen
Wednesdays, Nov. 4 – Dec. 9 (No classes Nov. 25)
Follow the journey of a film—from the birth of a concept to the marketing of the final product. Explore the various stages of putting a film together, including screenwriting, cinematography, sound design, and editing. Learn about different jobs in the film industry and complete a short film of your own, gaining hands-on experiences with different roles. Access to a digital camera (cell phones are fine) and a computer or tablet for editing are required.
Comic Book Illustration & Storytelling
Fridays, Nov. 6-Dec. 11 (No classes: Nov. 27)
Create your own mini comic book while you learn the skills comic artists use to make their work eye-catching, pro–quality, and unique. Explore pencilling and inking, page layout and storytelling. Learn about tools and materials used in comic book illustration. Develop an understanding of form, light and shadow, line weight, hatching techniques, composition and basic principles of good comic design.
MUIR GEAR is Now Available!
Email Mr. Bond at firstname.lastname@example.org to get more information about purchasing your Muir gear and to schedule a pick up of your order. Get your gear while supplies last!
Sci-Fest L.A. and Lighter Bringer Project
John Muir High School PTSA
Writes of Passage
Mobile Dental Clinic
Below is information regarding one of our Community Partners, Young & Healthy's Mobile Dental Clinic.
Young & Healthy is hosting the Mobile Dental Clinic from October 22-30, 2020.
Free Dental Care
Space is limited, so please call or email us to begin the registration process:
- The clinic will be held October 22-30, 2020. Each participant in the clinic will attend multiple appointments over the course of the week.
- This year we are accepting children ages 5-18, who live or go to school in Altadena, Pasadena, Sierra Madre and South Pasadena.
- We have space for some parents/guardians to participate as well.
- We have taken extensive steps to ensure that the clinic is socially distanced and safe during the pandemic. A few of the changes we have made include
- Patients spaced out within trailers.
- All patients must be tested for covid-19 prior to the receiving treatment. (Y&H will coordinate that testing site for you)
- All patients will receive health screening prior to entering the clinic each day (temperature taken, health questionnaire)
- Social distance must be practiced while waiting for appointments.
- Face Masks will be required.
GENERATION GREEN ANNOUNCEMENTS
Lupita Solano is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Generation Green Meeting
Time: Sep 17, 2020 02:30 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Every week on Thu, until Oct 29, 2020, 7 occurrence(s)
Oct 22, 2020 02:30 PM
Oct 29, 2020 02:30 PM
Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 998 5508 4331
One tap mobile
+16699006833,,99855084331# US (San Jose)
+13462487799,,99855084331# US (Houston)