December 2, 2016
Need to Know Dates
- 12/7 - King Philip Middle School Barnes and Noble Book Fair - Blue Black 10am to 9pm
- 12/8 - 8th Grade Concert
- 12/12 - 7th Grade Concert - 7pm
- 12/13 - 6th Grade to A Christmas Carol - 9:30am to 12:30pm
- 12/14 - Unselfie Book Mtg #2 - 7pm
- 12/15 - Unified Theater Dress Rehearsal - 3:30 to 4:30pm
- 12/15 - Fundraiser Social for Top Sellers - 3:00 to 4:00pm
- 12/16 - Unified Theater Performance - 7 to 8pm
This Bulletin provides students, parents/caregivers, and staff members with important happenings. There is information about a number of school activities.
King Philip Middle School Barnes and Noble fair is coming!!!!
King Philip Middle School Barnes and Noble Bookfair
Want to get a headstart on your holiday shopping AND support King Philip Middle School? Then come to the KP Barnes and Noble Bookfair on Wednesday, December 7th, from 10am-9pm. Mention KP at check-out and a percentage of the sales will go to KP. Stop by Barnes and Nobles to check out:
- Teacher Wish List table! Looking to support your child's classroom directly? Consider purchasing a book for your child's teacher. It makes a perfect thank you gift!
- Musical Performances by Sixth Dimension, KP Singers, Beaux Strings and Muzak 3.
- The Barnes and Noble Cafe! It will be offering delicious options for dinner and many special treats. KP will receive a percentage of these sales as well.
- An amazing selection of educational toys and games for that perfect holiday gift.
We are still in need of volunteers to help staff the welcome table at Barnes and Noble throughout the day on December 7th. If you are available, please click on the link: www.signupgenius.com to sign up. Thank you in advance.
If you aren't able to come into the Barnes & Noble store for the KP Bookfair, you can still support KP by ordering online at bn.com/bookfairs between Wednesday, December 7th and Sunday, December 11th. Enter the KP Bookfair ID 11912896 during checkout. We hope to see you there!
GRADE 8 PARENTS
Grade 8-9 Transition -- Mark Your Calendars
- Elective Presentation for Students - January 9 during Learning Lab
- High School Counselor Program of Studies Presentation - Jan. 17 Periods 1-3
- Grade 8 Parent Orientation Wednesday, Jan 25, 2017 - Hall high School
Student Led Conference Feedback
The overall feedback indicates that our current format is successful. Based on the comments, we will review the following:
- ways to provide more feedback from the teachers
- ways to communicate the familiarity of the facilitator with the student and their overall academic progress
- ways to provide more flexible scheduling options
- ways to support students who may be anxious leading a student-led conference
- ways to make the experience more authentic and less scripted
- options to provide conference time without the student if needed
Parent/Guardian volunteers requested for King Philip’s Safe School Climate Committee (SSCC)
The SSCC meets after school, once each month (12/20/16, 1/24/17, 2/16/17, 3/23/17, 4/20/17, 5/18/17, & 6/15/17) from 3:00 - 4:00PM. During these meetings, the SSCC discusses school-wide efforts to minimize mean behaviors and also basic safety drills and procedures. Parent/caregiver perspective is needed on this year’s committee. Please respond to email@example.com if you are interested in hearing more and/or participating.
UPDATE on KP Spirit Wear
"The spirit wear holiday drive has officially ended. Thank you to everyone who sent in their order forms. We hope to have all the merchandise delivered in time for the holidays"
Thank you so much! We hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.
Just for Fun - Turquoise takes the Mannequin Challenge
Author Neal Shusterman is coming to KP!
December Random Acts of Kindness
Empathy vs. Sympathy
KP Family Fall/Winter Book Read on UnSelfie
You are invited to join our fall/winter book read on UnSelfie: Why Empathetic Kids Succeed in Our All-About-Me World. We hope that you can join us. We have a few books to loan (please call the main office). There are two ways to participate:
Three Meetings: We'll be reading the book in three parts and meeting on the following dates.
KP Book Meeting #2 Wednesday, December 14th 7PM-8PM
- How to Practice Empathy (Chapters 5, 6,7)
KP Book Meeting #3 Thursday, January 12th 7PM-8PM
- How to Live Empathy (Chapters 8, 9)
One Meeting: Discuss the book as a whole on December 19th 7PM-8:15PM
I Hope to see you there.
Thank-You Gift Program - Foundation for the West Hartford Public Schools
A possible resource if you are considering purchasing your child a cell phone
Bridge Family Center Newsletter
"Public Act 16-189
We believe that it is vital for all students in West Hartford Public Schools to be able to efficiently and effectively use digital tools that empower them in all phases of the learning process, including research, problem solving, content creation, communication, and collaboration. We also believe that we must be committed at all times to protecting students' privacy and providing them with a powerful and safe educational experience. To that end, the West Hartford Public Schools follow the legal requirements of Public Act 16-189 to promote the safety and security of all students and staff.
In compliance with Connecticut State Law, we update online programs used within the district that house student data. The programs may be used district-wide, in a very small number of classrooms, or with individual students. The list will be updated each time the district enters into a new contract where student data is housed. For more information on the specifics of Public Act 16-189 and updates of vendor agreements, visit www.whps.org/pa189."