5th Grade News Bennett Elementary
Week of February 15-19
Reading, Writing, and Social Studies
In Reading, we will continue mythology, making sure students can explain the roles of the characters and their relationships and conflicts within plots. We will make sure to spiral previously taught concepts, including poetry, drama, and non-fiction. Students will continue their mystery book club books. Reading homework is due Friday, February 19th.
In Social Studies, students will continue our Westward Expansion ELM. Students should be able to define what Manifest Destiny is and the reasons people traveled westward. Be sure to ask your child about what "Hacker Trail" is! This simulation of moving west really helps students understand the hardships faced while moving west.
Six Flags Reading!
Math and Science
In Math, we will begin reviewing appropriate measuring tools and benchmarks. The rest of the week, we will be calculating customary conversions for length, capacity and weight. Homework is due Monday, February 22nd.
In Science, please make sure that your child is ready for EARTH VOCABULARY #2—quiz will be on Tuesday, February 23rd. The vocabulary words are attached below. Over the next three weeks, students will investigate the rapid changes in Earth’s surface such as volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, and landslides; examine properties of soils, including color and texture, capacity to retain water, and ability to support the growth of plants; identify fossils as evidence of past living organisms and the nature of the environments at the time using models; explore the process that led to the formation of sedimentary rocks and fossil fuels; recognize how landforms such as deltas, canyons, and sand dunes are the result of changes to Earth’s surface by wind, water, and ice; identify and classify Earth’s renewable resources, including coal, oil, and natural gas; and the importance of conservation.
Math and Science Homework
- February 8-19th - LOCK-IN tickets will be sold at the top of the ramp for $1 from 7:50-8:00a.
- Monday, February 15th - No School
- Tuesday, February 16th - Taste it Tuesday; KidzScience 3-4
- Thursday, February 18th – add Breakfast with Benny ticket orders due
- Friday, February 19th - Lock-in drawing on announcements
- Saturday, February 20th- 8:00-10:00a - Breakfast with Benny at Applebees (tickets must be purchased prior to event)
- Monday, February 22 - STUCO meeting 7:15 AM
- Tuesday, February 23rd- 6th Grade Middle School Night @ 6pm at your child's middle school; KidzScience 3-4; PTO March Newsletter goes home
- Thursday, February 25 - ALPHA Playground Expo at Webb from 5:30-7
- Friday, February 26th - LOCK-IN for chosen tickets from 6:00-9:30p at Bennett!; Friday Live @ 2:15; Color Run Kick-Off; MISD Wear Red Day
- Monday, February 29th - Course requests for middle school due
- Friday, March 4th - First Annual Bennett Color Run
- The week of March 7-11th - Spring Break
- Tuesday, March 29th - Math STAAR test
- Wednesday, March 30th - Reading STAAR test
- Saturday, June 4 - Rough Rider McKinney ISD Night
In the Event of Bad Weather - A Message From Cody Cunningham
As winter sets in, so does the opportunity for inclement weather. We encourage parents to become familiar with the District's communication process in the event of bad weather. In most cases, a decision to close or delay school due to bad weather is made prior to 6:00 am. The information will first be posted on the McKinney ISD website at www.mckinneyisd.net and the McKinney ISD Facebook Page and Twitter account. The notification will also air on MET (Time Warner Channel 98).
All major television and radio stations will be notified. However, please recognize that there is often a 30-45 minute delay between the time we provide them with the information and the time it is posted.
The McKinney ISD website is the most effective way for you to determine the status of school closings. Please note if the school is not closed or delayed, no information will posted.
Chief Communications Officer McKinney Independent School District 469.302.4133
Incoming 6th Grade Meeting Information
5th Grade Party Information
McKinney ISD Rough Rider Night - June 4th
OUR GIFT TO YOU!
Student Name _______________________________
Parent Signature _____________________________
Bennett 5th Grade
Shannon Dusek - email@example.com
Beth Higgins - firstname.lastname@example.org
Natalie White - email@example.com