Birth to One Month
What happens during this period?
- Gains information through senses
- Makes eye contact
- Prefers faces to objects
- Can distinguish between familiar and unfamiliar voices
- Behaviors are limited to simple motor responses caused by sensory stimuli
Characteristics of this period.
- Practices inborn reflexes
- Does not understand self as separate person
What are infants doing this time period?
- They coordinate new sensations
- For example: a child may suck his/her thumb by accident and then later intentionally repeat the same action
What are activities for an infant that is birth-one month old?
- How to stimulate your babies brain
- talking to your baby
- face your baby towards the activity
- and keep your baby beside you while you walk around the house
- carry them while you move
- put them in a spot so that they can look at the world around them
- you need to find appropriate toys