All about the United States
By: Carlyn Gallimore and Haley Adams
Geography of the United States
- Located on the continent of North America
- Near the Atlantic and Pacific oceans
- Located in between Canada and Mexico
- The capital of the US is Washington D.C.
- 3.8 million square miles in size
- Some major landforms in the US are the Rocky mountains, Appalachian mountains and the Mississippi river
- Some natural resources in the US are coal, copper, lead, gold, iron, mercury and silver.
Economy in the United States
- The manufacturing industry is the number 1 employer for most US states.
- Agriculture is another big industry in the US
- Mainly exports material goods, industrial supplies and equipment, and also consumer goods.
- Mainly imports industrial machinery, capital goods and consumer goods such as automobiles.
- The US currency is measured in dollars
Goverment of the United States
- Federal republic government
- Obama is the president of the US
- 1,369,532 soldiers were actively on duty in the US military during the year of 2013
- The US has one of the largest militaries on terms of personnel
- US allies are Canada and Great Britain while their enemies are Iran and North Korea
United States history
- A terrorist attack on the World Trade Center occured on September 11th, 2009 in New York City.
- The cloning of dolly the sheep
- The first black president, Barrack Obama, was elected in 2008.
- Hurricane Katrina in 2005 destroyed the city of New Orleans.
- Social network was invented in 2004 which changed the way we communicate.
United States social structure
- The social classes are the under class, working poor, working class, lower middle class, middle class and upper class.
- About half of the people in the US are Christians, 28% are roman catholic, 13% are protestant, 8% are atheist and the others are Buddist or other religions.
- The ethnis groups are white Americans, blacks, native Americans and Alaska natives.
- The life expectancy for a person living in the US is about 78 years.
- The main languages are English and Spanish.
- !4% of the US population are illiterate which means 86% of Americans are literate.