Butler Tech Career Initiatives
April 2016 Newsletter
Well Being Concepts
A Day in the Life of a High School Counselor
Budget Calculator- Great for School Counselors and Career Advisers for Individual and Group Work
Social Media for the Job Search Process
A Career Lesson/Activity For Your Students
Is it Fact or Is it Fiction?
For this activity, students research careers while also learning how to evaluate sources for reliability.
· Distribute the accompanying worksheet “Is it Fact or is it Fiction?” to each student.
· Give students two reliable sources to investigate a chosen career. These are the Occupational Outlook Handbook (www.bls.gov) and OhioMeansJobs K-12.
· Have students investigate the same careers and use two other online sources.
· Direct students to compare information from the original sources and determine the reliability of the additional sources (Fact or Fiction).
· Discuss with the class the impact of valid and invalid information obtained from websites.
· Worksheet "Is it Fact or is it Fiction?" (one for each student)
· OhioMeansJobs K-12
· Occupational Outlook Handbook (online version)
· One 45-minute class period
Discussion questions to consider asking students include:
· How reliable were the websites? Which ones, in your opinion, are more reliable? Why?
· What are some ways you can check a website's reliability?
· What are the dangers of using information from a less-than-reliable website? What are some consequences?
· Apply this procedure for other research topics.
· Use one reliable source and one chosen source.
· Provide assistance.
· Provide topics to research.
Butler Tech 8th Grade Tours- A Success!
Butler Tech Bioscience students sharing the programing details with 8th graders
Live burn demonstration
Minute to Win It Games!
Showcasing various Butler Tech programs