Fun in Fourth Grade
A Newsletter About Our Fantastic 4th Grade "Chastain-ians"
Thank you for taking the time to read about what is coming up during this short but busy week ahead!
A few words of thanks...Thanks also go out to Linh Nguyen who helped make many copies for us today!
Tis the Season!
Just a reminder that this week we have the following...
Holiday Traditions Feast
Some winter holidays just wouldn't be the same without that special dish that you always make as part of the celebration. The kids would like you to share that dish with us! : ) I have created a Volunteer Spot sign up for our party contributions here. Parents are certainly welcome to join in the fun! The party will be on Dec. 18th from 10:40 to 11:40. Thank you for donating nut-free dishes and your time!
Secret Santa Gift Exchange
The students also voted to do a Secret Santa gift exchange. In class next week, students will draw a name of a student to be the recipient of a gift from your child. By Dec. 17th, please send a gift to class for this child not exceeding $5 in cost, gift wrapped and with only the recipient's name on it. We will have some fun guessing who the Secret Santa is! Thanks for supporting the fun!
Thursday is a MINIMUM DAY!
Holidays Around the World
- Students will learn about four winter holidays celebrated on the continent of Asia on Wednesday in Miss Porter's, Miss Hewitt's and Mrs. Miksits' and my classroom.
- Students will not be introduced to new prefixes or suffixes this week. However they will take a review quiz on those introduced during units 1-3 on Tuesday.
- They will have a short vocabulary list to work on using Spelling Vocabulary City. This list covers social studies terms that will help prepare students for this week's test. They will have a little time in class to work on activities but will need to take the test at home and return it on Thursday.
- No spelling list this week.
- We will be assessing what students know about the elements of all the folktale genres we have been studying on Wednesday.
- We continue to work with division concepts next week. This will continue through January.
- IXL Strands that support our 4th grade upcoming coursework includes: E.1, E.2, E.3, E.4, E.6, E.7, E.8, E.9, and E.15.
- On Thursday, students will be tested on the notes taken on three lessons about the explorer and mission era in California. We will review for the test in class. Additionally, the best way to prepare for the test will be for students to study their notes and study guide that will be provided on Monday.
- We finished our science unit on the structures that support survival in humans and animals today. Today they received a study guide to help them to prepare for the test that will be given on Tuesday. We reviewed how to make flash cards to help them study. Students should review the study guide and notes in preparation for the test.
Age of Sail Field Lesson Update
Age of Sail paperwork requiring your signature needs to be returned to the classroom ASAP. Thank you for your help with this!
A couple of corrections from the paperwork that was distributed for Age of Sail:
- The students do NOT need to bring a tin plate, cup and utensils. We will provide these.
- Just to clarify: students and tall sailors will be riding on the bus. No need to drive your own car.
Dates to Remember
- December 16: Science Test on Animal Structures
- December 16: Review Quiz on Prefixes/Sufixes learned in Units 1-3
- December 17: Spelling Bee! Come cheer on Adam H. as he represents the Chastain-ians!
- December 18: Social Studies Test on Explorer and Mission period.
- December 18: Talent Show Applications are due. They can be submitted here.
- December 18: Pajama Day!
- December 18: Holiday Traditions Feast/Gift Exchange -- Early Dismissal!
- December 19-January 2: Winter Break
- January 8-9: Chastain-ians' Age of Sail Field Lesson