JCMS Parent Newsletter
September 28 - October 2
- Parent-Teacher Conferences - We invite you to come join us for Parent Teacher Conferences! These will be held at JCMS on October 7th and 8th from 4:00-7:00pm. The purpose of these conferences is to talk with teachers individually and privately about your students progress. There are no sign-ups so come when you are available and you can talk to as many or as few teachers as you would like.
- October 5th is Bulling Awareness Day. We will be doing a number of activities that day to talk with students about the impact of bullying. Please talk with your child about this as well to reinforce this point.
- School Celebration - October 9th we will be doing activities with students for most of the day. We will have a convo. in the morning and then a dance/basketball/movie for students in the afternoon. All students will be dismissed as normal at the end of the day.
- NJHS - The 1st meeting of the National Junior Honor Society will be Wednesday, September 30th. For your convenience, there will be two meeting times to choose from. If you have after school activities, you can come to the morning meeting at 7:35 in room 145. If you can make it after school, there will be an afternoon meeting, beginning at 3:20 in room 145. Please have a ride to pick you up at4:00. If you can not make it, please see Mrs. Stoner in room 145 so that you can sign up for a committee this year. Hope to see you there!!
- Fall Break - October 12-16 no school all week.
- JCMS Technology Club - This club will start meeting on September 28th from 3:15-4:00pm. See Mrs. Donnell for more information.
- Panther Print - Applications are now being taken for the Panther Print Newspaper Staff. Pick up an application in Rm 137 or 136. This club is open to all 7th and 8th grade students. Applications are due back by Friday October 2nd.
- Book Fees - all book fees are due by September 30th. Please contact Debbie Andis in the main office if you have any questions or concerns.
- End of 1st Quarter -October 2.
From the Guidance Office
Jennings County Middle School just finished an exciting and information College Go Week with many activities centered around training and college after high school graduation. It is never too early to start thinking about what you want to do after graduation. Each student was on a college team and competed with other teams for points. Teams could earn points for wearing college apparel throughout the week, dressing like a career, dressing for success as if they were going for a job interview, answering college trivia questions and playing college bingo, identifying school mascots, and showing team spirit. Our overall winner was the Purdue team of Mrs. Furgason, Mrs. McGuire, Mrs. Hall, and Mr. Morrison’s 8th grade homeroom classes. They will enjoy a donut party on Tuesday morning to celebrate their success.
Middle School is an excellent time to start exploring your interests and aptitudes (things you are good at). During the next two weeks, students will be having guidance lessons revolving around self-exploration, learning styles, and academic success. Check out the links below to help in that exploration. Take an interest inventory or find out more about your learning style. Then use the links to websites that will give you information about specific careers.
Take a survey about your interests, read about career and job trends, and find educational programs that match your interests!
Take a survey to discover which career areas match your interests!
(Over 200 items, takes about 15 minutes)
Are you a "seeing", "hearing" or "doing" learner?
(Click on the Printable Learner Survey)
Take a quick learning styles quiz: