LWTHS Mustang Message
A Message from the Principal Yolanda Flores. . .
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank our parents and students who represented Lorenzo Walker Technical High School in 2014 Champions Challenge at the Naples Grande Beach this past month. You played an important role in providing input on ways to strengthen community and parent involvement in the education to the Education Foundation Champions for Learning. LWTHS had noticeable participation parents, students, teachers and administrators. In addition, the LWIT culinary students catered the event and received countless accolades for a job well done.
Congratulations are in order for grade nine student, Monique Hutchinson, who was chosen at the Champions Challenge to be on the cover of the Education Foundation's 2014 holiday card.
We have our midterm and final exams scheduled for December 9-December 19. Please see the schedule below of exams given on specific dates.
12/9: World Geography, World History, Spanish
12/10: HOPE, Computing for College and Careers, Intensive Reading, Advanced Communications, Writing, Semantics and Logic, Humanities
12/11: English (all grade levels)
12/12: Algebra 1 and Geometry EOC retakes, Earth Space
12/15: Biology, Genetics
12/16: Algebra 2
12/17: Algebra 1, US History EOC, Economics
12/18: Geometry, Chemistry, Math for College Readiness
12/19: Early Release Day--All makeup exams given
· If your student is leaving before the winter break, retakes will be given in January when we return to school.
CLUB SPOTLIGHT-THE GREEN CLUB
• If your son / daughter will be absent, please call 377-3305 Sabrina Medal.
• To request a teacher conference, please call Blanca Rodriguez at 377-3314.
• If you would like anything included in an upcoming newsletter, please email Laurie Lattarulo, firstname.lastname@example.org.
• National Honor Society Members are currently tutoring students in a variety of Math subjects--If your child needs tutoring help, please contact Mrs. Cassio at 377-3335 or email email@example.com.
• Parents, if you have a child who is currently in her last year to encourage them to take advantage of the "open lab" that will take place every Thursday from 4-236 2: 00-15: 30 The sessions began 10/2. Lynne Bruce, School Counselor helps all seniors with post-secondary plans and online applications - ACT / SAT, college admissions, scholarships and financial aid. If you have any questions may contact the Bruce @ Miss firstname.lastname@example.org or 377-3315.
• Class of 205 t-shirts are now available at a cost of $15. They make a great holiday gift idea, but supplies are limited so order them early.
• National Honor Society Members are currently volunteering at the Domestic Animal Shelter/Humane Society, Grace Place, Boys and Girls Club, and Teen Court----if volunteers are needed in the community, please contact Mrs. Cassio at 377-3335 or email email@example.com.
• Grad Bash at Universal Studios in Orlando will be Friday April 17, 2015. This trip is only for current seniors (graduates of the Class of 2015). The cost is $ 120. Seniors are able to make payments from October 1- February 20 to Mrs. Cassio (Senior Class Sponsor) in room 4-319 on Mondays and Fridays from 10: 25-10: 45 AM .
UPCOMING STUDENT EVENTS
• This Saturday, December 13 at Publix in King's Lake Plaza, Key Club is hosting their 2nd Ringing of the Bells. We will be there from 10:00 am-5:00 pm. It is a friendly competition amongst all Collier County high schools to see who can raise the most money for the Salvation Army. Last year, we won, and would like to continue our reign! Please stop by to support our students, for 10 minutes, an hour or all day.
• January 16, 2015 is Religious Freedom Day, but because that day is an early release day, January 14 will be recognized by the District as Religious Freedom Day. In accordance with School Board Policy 9700, on that day, tables will be set up in Mustang Alley for the purpose of distributing materials celebrating the freedom and diversity of religious thought or belief or lack thereof. Students may choose to take the materials placed on or near the tables if they so choose. For more information visit the District website.
SCHOOL ADVISORY COUNCIL
Our SAC Committee meets on the third Tuesday of each month from 6:00-7:00 PM in the principal's conference room at LWIT. Our next meeting is 12/16. Everyone is invited to attend.
UPCOMING PARENT WORKSHOPS
We have some informative parent involvement workshops planned this year. These workshops will be held at LWIT. Please place the following dates on your calendar:
• January 15-Health Care 101, 5:00 -6: 00 PM
• March 12 - Substance Abuse Signs and Symptoms, 5: 00-6: 00 PM