By: Amber Bloedel
- Limit butter, cream, hydrogenated oils, shorening, coconut oil.
- Use eggs in moderation and season vegetables with herbs or spices instead of butter/oil.
- Trim fat from meat before AND after cooking.
- Read labels to determine amount and type of fat in foods.
- Roast, broil, boil, or bake instead of frying.
- Serve fresh fruits and vegetables instead of candy or cookies.
- Use spices for flavor instead.
- Add fruit to yogurt rather than buying flavored yogurt.
- Check labels to determine sugar content.
- Buy unsweetened cereal and add fruit instead off sugar.
- Taste food before adding extra salt.
- Eat fewer salty snacks (pretzels).
- Read labels and choose those without added salt.
- Substitute herbs/spices for flavor.
- Use lemon juice or balsamic vineger instead of salt on poultry/fish.