Your Weekly Woodcreek Newsletter
Lion News - Episode #5
Have you seen a WMS staff member doing exceptional things? If so feel free to recognize them with a virtual pat on the back via our Woodcreek C.A.R.E.S. form. Teacher and staff work through a lot of issues daily, and it is always great for them to hear some positive feedback from our stakeholders. See the link below to give a high-five to staff you feel should be positively recognized!
Woodcreek Academic Updates & Assessment/Testing
6th: This week students will apply their knowledge of the Five Themes of Geography by adding these components to their Cartography projects. Unit 2 test will be October 21, 2022.
7th: Texas History students are continuing their unit on the Spanish Colonial era this week. After learning about how the Spanish missions system worked last week, the focus this week will be on why the system failed. The test for this unit will be on Wednesday, 10/26.
- 8th: This week, we began studying the events and people that comprised the American Revolutionary War. We concluded the week by creating a headline about one of the battles and applied the information we learned about that battle to their assignment. Our test over Unit 3 will take place on Friday, October 28. HEADS UP! Geography Test #2 will be on Friday, December 2.
Veterans Day Ceremony Announcement: Woodcreek Middle will be hosting its annual Veterans Day Ceremony and Luncheon on Friday, November 11th. We are cordially inviting students’ family members who are Veterans to attend and be recognized for their service. Please be on the lookout for the Veterans Day Ceremony information and RSVP on the WMS homepage and in an email from your student’s Social Studies Teacher. There will also be an Extra Credit Opportunity to make a Veterans Day Poster; these details were explained to students this week during their Social Studies class..
All Math students should have their Delta Math account set up by October 31. See your teacher if you need assistance.
- 6th: This week we will be reviewing all integer operations and will continue our exploration via Productive Math Struggle. Our assessment on integer operations will be next week. Advanced will take their next assessment on Monday, October 31, and On Level will take their next assessment on Wednesday, November 2.
- 7th: This week 7th grade students assess their knowledge of percent change with a Summative on Monday October 24. On Level students will then begin learning about probability. Advanced 7th grade students will assess their knowledge of slope and simultaneous linear equation solutions with a Summative on Monday. Students will then begin learning how to write linear equations from various representations.
- 8th: Students will continue the study of Slope and Intercept. The Unit 4 Part I Assessment for Slope is scheduled for Tuesday 10/25. Slope/Intercept will be a huge part of Algebra so a strong foundation is critical. Should your student need extra practice, Delta Math, IXL and Khan Academy are EXCELLENT resources.
- Algebra: Algebra will complete the unit on Slope and Intercept on Monday and begin. working on Writing linear equations in various forms to include Slope-Intercept Form, Standard Form and Point-Slope Form.
- 6th: This week students will continue their independent reading during the first 10 minutes of class. Students will review skills such as plot, theme, POV, summary, character analysis, internal/external responses to conflict, and drawing conclusions. The week will end with Unit 2 Checkpoint 1 on Thursday and Friday.
- 7th: This week students will continue their independent reading during the first 10 minutes of class. Students will analyze foreshadowing, suspense, setting, and text structure. They will also begin working on their book club projects.
- 8th: This week students will continue with their 10 minutes of SSR. Students will review inference, P.O.V., theme, plot development, tone/mood (suspense), symbolism, suspense, and reliability of sources.
- 6th: Sixth graders are jumping into the evidence of a chemical reaction this week, so they should be coming home with some exciting things to tell you about! Please ask your student what the six signs of a chemical change are.
- 7th: Last week we took our Heredity test and completed test corrections, so please check your students grade. This week we are beginning our body systems unit by learning about the nervous and endocrine system.
- 8th: Students took their Chemistry Part 2 test on Friday and will be completing corrections on Monday so please check your students grades. This week we will be learning about counting the atoms in a chemical formula and the law of conservation.
If a student needs to attend tutorials please check their teachers website for dates and times. They are welcome to attend another science teacher’s
Battle of the Books and Project Lit:
Battle of the Books will meet every Wednesday (unless the library is closed) to prepare for the competition on April 1st, 2023.
Project Lit’s first meeting will be on Thurs. Nov. 3rd at 9 am. Students will be reading the book, Orphie’s Ghost by Justina Ireland. They should be ready to discuss the book at our Nov. 3rd meeting at 9 am in the library.
Any person interested can still sign up for these book clubs over the next few weeks.
Huge thank you to the PTO for their recent donation to purchase our Battle of the Books and Project Lit Books! We were able to order all of our books and more!! Thanks so much!
Personalized Learning Department
The kids have made a lot of progress on their robots this week. Look out for pictures in the next newsletter!
6th grade meets on Tuesdays in RM 210 from 4:00-4:45
7th/8th grade meets on Thursday in RM 210 from 4:00-4:45
Please contact me with any questions! email@example.com
The 2022-2023 Woodcreek Middle School Yearbook is now on sale! Click on the link below to purchase this year’s book!
If the link does not work, enter this URL into your search bar: https://www.balfour.com/texas/houston/woodcreek-middle-school/yearbook-packages
This year we will have tiered pricing for our book.
Now- September 30– $30
October 1- December 30– $35
December 31- May 1– $40
Student ads are also available for purchase if you want to recognize your student and all of his/her accomplishments.
Range in size & price from $30-$130
These are first come first serve
Only available until December 31, 2022
If you ever have any questions or concerns, please email Hannah Russell (firstname.lastname@example.org)
AUDITIONS FOR 2022 - 2023 UIL One Act Play:
October 24th & 25th (1 minute MEMORIZED dramatic monologue.) Sign up for a time slot outside of Mrs. Maake’s room. You do NOT have to be in a theatre class or Drama Club to audition. EVERYONE is invited to audition.
Call-backs (by invite only), October 26th.
UPCOMING DRAMA CLUB MEETING: Tuesday, October 25 @ 7:45 am. We will have 6th Grade Rep Elections on Tuesday!
DRAMA CLUB HALLOWEEN PARTY: October 28 @ 4 - 6:30.
Costumes are definitely encouraged: Awards will be given for:
Your entry “fee” is to bring an item from the list below. Additionally, Theatre Boosters are looking for a few things. Check out the sign-up genius: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0c4ba9aa2fa2f94-refreshments
8th Grade: Sweet treats
7th Grade: Salty or Savory snacks
6th Grade: 2 Liter Bottle of soda & pack of cups (styrofoam is fine!)
OFFICERS: Plates & napkins
This past Tuesday, October 18th, the Lionettes performed a halftime routine for the very first time with the Westlake Luminaires Dance Team. The Lionettes had to put in extra practice hours to come together with the Luminaires. There were a total of 66 combined dancers performing at the 8th grade final football game. It was an amazing experience to have the two communities come together in our school district.
Next Tuesday, October 25, the Lionettes will be performing “Thriller” with the WMS Band at the Halloween Band Concert. Hope to see you there for a spooky time!
Halloween Band Concert/Trunk or Treat on Oct 25th in the WMS Gym at 6:30pm
WMS & WLMS
Starlettes, Lionettes, and Luminaires
WMS & WLMS
WLMS & WMS Dance Teams
Lionettes of the Week
Lionette of the Week: Allison Miranda and Spirit Girl of the Week: Sara Ojeda
Members meeting October 24, 2022 from 4:00-5:00 in room 415.
Step Practice October 27, 2022 from 4:00-5:30 in room 415.
Late Arrival Dates
WMS Campus Procedure Reminders
Food Deliveries from Paid Delivery Services NOT ALLOWED
Woodcreek's Big 3:
Be on Time.
Wear Your ID.
Put Your Phone Away.
Morning Wandering & Tardy Consequences
Below are the consequences that will be assigned for tardies:
- 1st & 2nd Tardy: Warnings
- 3rd & 4th Tardy: Parent Phone Call & After-School Detention
- 5th & 6th Tardy: Parent Conference & Thursday Class Assigned
- 7th+ Tardy: ISS Assigned and Intervention Planned w/Parents
**All tardies will be cleared at the conclusion of each 9-week grading period**
WMS CELL PHONE POLICY
Cell phones must not be visible during school hours unless they are being used in the classroom for instructional purposes, as determined by the teacher.
- 1st Offense: Parent will be contacted & the phone will be returned to the student at the end of the day.
- 2nd Offense: Parent will be contacted & the phone will ONLY be returned to the parent.
- 3rd Offense: Parent will be contacted, the phone will ONLY be returned to a parent/guardian, & ISS will be assigned to the student.
- 4th Offense: Parent will be contacted, cell phone will be checked-in daily & returned to the student at the end of the school day.