Table Discussion #1
Disease Model vs. Well Being Model
- "What is wrong with you?"
- WWII caused a shift in the focus of the Psychology Community
- Government funded solutions for PTSD
- Caused great strides in mental health
- Disorders were classified
- Rate of anxiety, depression, and stress in both youth and adults is climbing at an alarming rate.
- One mission: To root out problems and fix them. To cure mental illness.
- Perspective that if our youth aren't "troubled", they're fine.
Well Being Model:
- "What is right with you?"
- Three missions: Cure Mental Illness, Nurture Talent, and Make People Happier.
- Goal: To raise fulfilled, productive, engaged, and happy youth
- To do this we need to give them skills to both prevent what can go wrong AND skills to promote what is right.
- New field of psychology is emerging - Positive Psychology