Engaging The Brain
October 20, 2012
Class Dojo -
- Improve specific student behaviors and engagement by awarding and recording real-time feedback.
- Print or email beautiful behavior reports to easily engage parents and staff.
- Save time by recording behaviors and accomplishments right in class, with just one click: NO extra data entry required.
Discovery Education (United Streaming)
Discovery Education Video on iPad
If your school/district has a license for Discovery’s United Streaming, then you've got permission to put those videos onto classroom devices! Here's how:
· Visit the United Streaming website, and log in with your username and password. Navigate to the video(s) you wish to put on your iPad.
· Directly beneath the video preview pane on the left, choose Quicktime as the Download Type.
· On the right side in the list of video segments, right-click the small filmstrip icon located to the right of the video you want, and choose “Save Link As...”or “Save Target As...” to save a copy of the video to your computer. Be sure to name it something that makes sense! Also, pay attention to where you're saving the file.
· You’ve now taken a copy of the video “out of” United Streaming and made it available to use on your school's devices!
· Next, copy that file into your iTunes library. It's not in iPod/iPad format just yet.
· In your iTunes media window, select the file you just uploaded by clicking it once.
· Go to the “Advanced” menu and choose “Create iPod or iPad Version” (this menu item might also be called “Create iPod or iPhone Version”).
· A minute or so later (depending on the length of the video), you should hear the iTunes confirmation beep, and your video is now in the correct format. You can delete the original file you uploaded, since it is no longer needed.
A short video tutorial of these steps is available here:
NetTrekker - is the leading educational search tool for schools, trusted by more than 1 million K-12 educators and 27 million students since 2000. NetTrekker Search curates the best educational resources from the web and makes searching safe and effective with unique learning tools to reach every student.
Learn more about the new netTrekker interface by visiting the Landing Page. You can also check out the brand new Support Center to find implementation resources, self-directed learning videos, and much more!
BoardmakerShare is the perfect community for finding thousands of Boardmaker activities on hundreds of topics. Now, the redesigned BoardmakerShare makes it easier than ever to share Boardmaker activities, and find the groups who are using them along with you.
Questions about BoardmakerShare - Contact Connie Rhymes firstname.lastname@example.org
Interactives, Lesson plans, activities, FREE!
Look under games for the Rube Goldberg Machine
www.pbs.org/teachers lessons, games, etc.
www.explorelearning.com lessons, gizmos (simulations) for use in the classroom
www.onlineconversions.com convert measurements online.
education.jlab.org science games like Who Wants to be a Millionaire?
www.dhp.disl.org Dauphin Island Sea Lab in Alabama-- teacher resources and information from Alabama'a Gulf Coast
www.freerice.com answer questions, feed the world!
www.bbc.co.uk/schools/bitesize/ small simulations geared to younger grades
www.jasonproject.org many great resources with simulations, lesson plans, and quizzes
www.educationcity.com k-6 resources for science - subscription necessary
Science Online Game Board
Build an Online Habitat
Lessons About Organisms
Social Study Sites
Library of Congress
Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History
Teaching American History
Smithsonian Source: Resources for Teaching American History
Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)
Texas State Library and Archives Commission
Texas Historical Commission (Local History)
Texas Council on Economic Education
Federal Reserve (Education)
Free Geography Worksheets
Apples4Teachers - Free online resources
Test Your Geography Knowledge
Geography and History Games
The Teacher's Cafe
Name that State
World Map Match Game
Funbrain - Where?
Web 2.0 - Engage Your Students
Smore - Create web pages in minutes
Tackk - Create web pages in minutes
Socrative (web based and iPad app)
Padlet (previously called Wallwisher) - Create a wall which is a nearly blank page (a wall).You put anything you want on it, anywhere. Simple, yet powerful!
http://wallwisher.com/wall/1rbmyjr47x (example of classroom use)
Edmodo - provides teachers and students a secure place to connect and collaborate, share content and educational applications, and access homework, grades, class discussions and notifications. The goal is to help educators harness the power of social media to customize the classroom for each and every learner.
Brainflips - BrainFlips provides the world's best tools for creating, sharing and studying flashcards! Make flashcards on any subject and share them with your friends and classmates. BrainFlips flashcards can incorporate text, images, audio and video to learn any subject.
Studystack - Build Your Own Flashcards
TED-Ed - Lessons Worth Sharing - Flipped Videos
Kidblog - Over a million K-12 students have a voice at Kidblog. Kidblog is trusted by teachers around the world. Set up your class for free in 20 seconds - no student email addresses, no ads.
Voki - Let your students be heard with Voki. Use free version.
TodaysMeet - Set up an online room for collaboration. Super easy!
Linoit - Create an online sticky board for students to share information.
KidRex - Safe search for kids.
ToonDoo - Fast way to create cartoons. Requires sign in.
Kerpoof Studio - Learning through creativity.
Animoto - Create free 30 second videos. Be sure to sign up as an educator.
Go Animate - Make videos for free.
WatchKnowLearn - Free Educational Videos
Meet Me At The Corner - Virtual field trips
Sumopaint - Allow your students to be creative.
Project Based Learning for the 21st Century