Glen Oaks Family Focus
March 29, 2022
Would you like to read our newsletter in a different language? Select the TRANSLATE NEWSLETTER option at the top of the screen and select your language.
هل ترغب في قراءة النشرة الإخبارية بلغة مختلفة؟ حدد خيار ترجمة الرسالة الإخبارية في أعلى الشاشة وحدد لغتك.
Czy chcesz przeczytać nasz biuletyn w innym języku? Wybierz opcję TRANSLATE NEWSLETTER u góry ekranu i wybierz język.
¿Le gustaría leer nuestro boletín en un idioma diferente? Seleccione la opción TRANSLATE NEWSLETTER en la parte superior de la pantalla y seleccione su idioma.
- March 29th: Internet Safety Parent Workshop (see details below)
- April 4th: One Book One School Begins (see details below)
- April 7th and 8th: Submit Peeps Contest Diorama to Media Center
- April 8th: Student Council Art Contest Submission Due
- April 6th: Team Day (Students Dismissed at 1:30)
- April 15th: No School
- April 18th: No School
- April 19th: PTA Meeting in Media Center at 3:30PM AND School Board Meeting at 7PM
Lunch and Ramadan
All 3rd - 5th grade students will be taking 5 assessments (two ELA & three Math). Students will take one assessment each day. Please make sure your child arrives to school on time, gets plenty of sleep, and eats a good breakfast. All students will NEED headphones, so if they do not have a pair at school please make sure they bring some for IAR testing.
Remind your child that while testing they should take their time, show their work on scratch paper, try their best on every question, and be respectful of others during testing. By doing these things, we know your child will be able to show ALL that they know and they will ROCK the IAR test!
Please note that due to testing, our 2nd graders lunch time will shift to 12:40PM for this week. 2nd graders can bring in a snack on these days to hold them over until lunch time!
Internet Safety Parent Workshop
We would like to invite you to an upcoming event to discuss Internet Safety for your children.
Please join North Palos SD 117 in partnership with the Green Hills Library on March 29, 2022 from 6:00 to 7:00 PM for a free interactive workshop on how to teach children to be safe online.
Families will learn about the many social media apps children in the world are using today and how you can support them.
This workshop will be held at Conrady Junior High School. To learn more about this event, please view the flyers below:
We look forward to seeing you there!
Annual Peeps Contest
● Dioramas may be submitted in any size shoebox.
● All of the characters in the diorama must be Peeps®.
● Other materials for costumes and props are allowed.
● Contents of the diorama must be secure enough to be moved throughout the school.
● Include the name/classroom of the student(s) on the back of the box.
● The title of the diorama should be placed on the front of the box.
● A completed official entry form must accompany the diorama.
● Submit your diorama and entry form to the Media Center on April 7 or 8, 2022.
● Entries turned in after April 8, 2022 will be displayed but are not eligible for voting.
● One entry per student or family.
● All students and staff are encouraged to participate.
● Entry forms can be found in your library Google Classroom and on the Glen Oaks Library website.
● Peeps® entries will be sent home on or before Thursday, April 14, 2022.
● Students will vote for their favorite entry.
● The Peeples Choice will be judged by the Glen Oaks Staff based on originality, creative use of Peeps®, and overall quality.
● Winners will be announced no later than April 14, 2022. Be creative and have fun! All work will be done at home.
See here for all of the details.
Student Council Art Contest
Drawing must be plain white paper.
The following must be n the back of the drawing:
First and last name
Class grade/section (Ex. 5B)
All drawings must be turned in to Mrs. Vittorio by Friday, April 8th
Contests runs Thursday, March 17 - Friday, April 8th
One Book One School
- Car Riders: Car Riders are any student who gets picked up in a car off of 91st St. If you are waiting on 91st St. for your child, please STAY IN YOUR CAR. Your child will come to you.
- Walkers: Any student who is not getting picked up in a car off of 91st St or riding on a bus would be considered a “Walker.”
- If you give your child permission to walk off of school property without you, please complete the Walker Form and send it to school with your child.
- If you are walking to the sidewalk to get your child, please do not park your car on 91st St. That area is reserved for our Car Riders.
- Please also do not stand on the sidewalk where our Car Riders wait. Our students will be standing there socially distanced.
- Please also be mindful of our Glen Oaks neighbors, and do not stand in community member's lawns, on their driveways, lean on their cars, walk in their gardens, turn around in their driveways, etc. Please also mind the speed limit.
- We have been working closely with the Hickory Hills Police department to ensure a safe and efficient dismissal.
Just a Quick Note
Breakfast and Lunch Menus
North Palos School District 117 and Glen Oaks School utilize our SchoolMessenger system to provide families with information, notifications, and reminders via email, phone calls, and text messaging. This includes regular communication, as well as emergency and school closing information.
In order to receive text messages from NPD117 and Glen Oaks School, you need to subscribe or opt-in to receive text messages. To do so, TEXT “Y” to 67587. Once the mobile number has been successfully subscribed, a confirmation message will be delivered to your cell phone. If you are NOT sure you have opted-in to our text messaging service, please follow the directions above. If you have more than one student in the district, you only have to do this once - as you will receive any information that applies to all of your students.
If you receive an error message, please contact your student's school office to confirm that they have your phone number properly recorded on file. If at any time you wish to unsubscribe to text messages, simply text "STOP" to 67587.
If your phone is already set up for this, you will simply get a message to confirm that you will continue to receive messages by going through this process.
Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help you and/or your child by contacting your child's teacher or by calling the main office at 708-598-5711.
Our Panther Professors use Twitter to share various photos, links, and videos of what learning looks like at Glen Oaks School! You can also find our Twitter feed on our website.