Jackie Robinson News letter
by: Chris Walker and Nick Stanley
Baseball and Race.
Who was Jackie Robinson
Problems that Jackie Robinson faced
● Jackie had to face major racial inequality in baseball because people did not want blacks to have the rights to play baseball.
● Jackie had to fight through discrimination against black people when he played for the dodgers and was playing during a time period where black people were thought to be bad.
● Many people thought that black players were bad at sports and were not good at baseball.
How Jackie faced these problems.
● Jackie entered the MLB and proved that white players are not the only ones who could be able to play baseball.
● Jackie did not listen to the people that discriminated against him and the things they said to him while he stood his ground not giving up.
● Jackie helped the dodgers win a world series title and won rookie of the year which proves that he is good at baseball.
How these problems still exist today.
● People are yelling racial things about black people and chanting racial things about blacks at an Oklahoma college.
● In the NFL the Washington Redskins mascot is sometimes offensive to native Americans by referring to them by their skin color.
● Some high school and college baseball teams have all white teams where there are over 75% native Americans at their school.
How Can These Problems be Solved
- There can be a law made to arrest or fine anybody that says something racial in public.
- At sporting events you can be kicked out if you say something to a player.
- All teams should have at least a quarter of their players be black.
● “Jackie Robinson.” Bio. A&E Television Networks, 2015. Web. 03. 2015.
● “Fernandez, Manny, and RIchard PErez PiNa. As Two Oklahoma Students Are expelled For Racist Chant”, Sigma Alpha Epsilon Vows Wider Inquiry.”The New York Times,10 Mar. 2015. Web. 17 Mar. 2015.
● “Discrimination”.-News. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Mar. 2015
● “Jackie Robinson.”Bio. A&E Television Networks, 2015. Web. 03 Mar. 2015.
● Biography.” Jackie Robinson. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Feb. 2015
● “Column: Jackie Deserves More Than One Day.” USTODAY.COM. N.p., n.d . Web. 04 Mar. 2015.