Mission to Mars
The Future is on Mars
Major Differences and Similarities
- Due to the position of Mars, Sun and the Moon, Eclipses would be in the same position
- Lunar Eclipses- Sun, Planet, Moon
- Solar Eclipses- Sun, Moon, Planet
- Due to the position of Mars, Sun, and the Moon, the rotation and revolution time would be longer
- Rotation time- Earth: 24 hours -- Mars: 24 Hours and 39 minutes
- Revolution time- Earth: 365 Earth days -- Mars 687 Earth days
Day and Night
How is Day and Night Measured on a planet?
- The rotation of the planet on it's once is equal to one day
What is Necessary for Day and Night to Occur?
- Axis rotation
- A planet
- A sun
Would there be Day and Night on Mars?
If there was human life on Mars there would be day and night. This is because Mars is a planet that has a sun and that rotates on it's axis.
How are Day and Night on Mars and Earth Similar and Different?
- One side of each planet will have day while the other has night
- One Mars day is 24 hours and 39 minutes. One earth day is 24 hours.
How is a Year measured for a planet?
- The time it takes a planet to revolve (orbit) the Sun once is equal to one year
What is Necessary for Years to Occur?
- A Sun
- A planet that revolves around the sun
Would there be Years on Mars?
If there was human life on Mars there would be years on Mars. This is because Mars is a planet that revolves around it's Sun.
How are Years on Mars and Earth Similar and Different?
- Revolving around the Sun once will form a year
- One year on Mars is 687 Earth days while one year on Earth is 365 Earth days
Tides on Mars
What is Necessary for Tides to Occur?
- Moon's gravity
- Sun's gravity
- A planet- has to rotate
- Ocean/ a body of water- has to be on planet/ coast (land)
Would there be Tides on Mars?
If there was human life on Mars there would not be tides. this is because Mars doesn't have a body of water (an ocean).
Phases of the Moon
What is Necessary for Phases of the Moon to Occur?
- Moon- To show different phases- Must orbit planet
- Sun's light
Would there be Phases of the Moon on Mars?
If there was human life on Mars there would be Phases of the Moon. this is because Mars has (a) Moon(s) that orbits Mars. Mars has a Sun to shine light which is needed for phases of the Moon.
How are Phases of the Moon on Mars and Earth Similar and Different?
- One side of the Moon will always be facing the Sun
- Mars has two Moons (Phobos and Deimos) while Earth one has one so Mars will have two different sets of Phases of the Moon
What is Necessary for Seasons to Occur?
- Axis rotation- tilt on planet
- A Sun
- Planet- that has to revolve around the Sun
Would there be Seasons on Mars?
If there was human life on Mars there would be seasons. This is because Mars is a planet that rotates on it's axis. While rotating on it's axis Mars is revolving around it's Sun.
How are Seasons on Mars and Earth Similar and Different?
- Seasons would change from one to the next
- The Seasons on Mars would be longer- This is because Mars has a longer revolving time (Mars- 687 Earth days)
What is Necessary for Eclipses to Occur?
- Moon- Full Moon/ New Moon- Must orbit the Planet- Must be on Same Plane during the event (Solar Eclipses and Lunar Eclipses)
Would there be Eclipses on Mars?
If there was human life on Mars there would be eclipses. This is because Mars is a planet that has a Moon that orbits the planet and is one the same plane during the event and has a Sun.
How are Eclipses on Mars and Earth Similar and Different?
- The positioning of the Moon, Sun, Planet would be the same (Solar Eclipses- Sun- Moon-Planet and Lunar Eclipses- Sun- Planet- Moon)
- Both Mars and Earth have Moons that orbits the planet at an angle so Eclipses happen only when the planet, Moon and Sun are on the same plane
- Mars has two Moons so this would cause Eclipses to happen more often.
By: Lynna Vo