From The Admin Team 9/15/2020
Bernice Kiker Elementary School
The question on everyone's mind... what will in-person school look like?
We hope to get more information on which decisions are district level decisions and which are campus level decisions. We want to share what we currently know and continue to update you as we receive more information.
As of today, our plan includes the following:
- Drop off will include health screenings at 4-5 different locations around the building. All staff and students must get their temperature checked daily. Anyone with a fever will be sent home immediately. Please complete AISD Covid-19 Screen and Go mobile app prior to arrival and show green checkmark screen to screener.
- All students and staff must wear masks and maintain 6 feet of distance.
- Students will report to their teacher who will provide instruction on Chromebooks/iPads and paper/pencil tasks. The in-class curriculum will match exactly with the remote learning curriculum; the presentation may look a little different.
- No materials will be shared.
- Students will remain in the space at and around their desks, however, there will be times to push in chairs and stretch, jump, etc.
- Lunch is in the classroom at desks.
- We are looking to designate 6-7 outdoor spaces to be used one class at a time. The playground remains closed.
- Dismissal procedures are still a work in progress.
- No visitors will be allowed on campus.
- If teachers, staff, or students are asked to quarantine, we must be prepared to pivot to remote learning with little notice.
We know there are many unanswered questions which affect your ability to answer your survey with 100% confidence. If you choose in-person learning and want to change to remote learning, that is effective immediately. If you choose remote learning and want to change to in-person, there is a waiting period of up to five days to allow time for room preparation.
Classroom with desks 6 feet apart
Tables for cafeteria deliveries
Morning temperature checks before building entry
We plan for 3 stations in front of the building, two of which , a separate station for bus riders, and one more for cadets childcare.
Ways to stay connected
AISD's Equity Action Plan
GT Nomination Window 9/21 -10/2
The identification process for the gifted program at Kiker Elementary School is set to begin. The process includes several steps: nomination, screening, and selection. Information considered in the decision includes parent/guardian observations, teacher input, collection of a portfolio of student work, and standardized assessments. The GT nomination and assessment window will only happen once this year. Students who are already identified as GT do not need to be reevaluated. Students identified as Talent Explore may be re-nominated for GT identification.
Please also note that the nomination process is time sensitive. All nominations are due by 10/2 at 4:00. For more information, you are invited to attend a parent/family session via Zoom on September 29 at 5:00 pm. Register for the Zoom link by filling out this form. Thank you! To nominate your child, please complete the observation checklist below.
9/21- 10/2 GT Nomination window9/22 - 8:00-9:00 am PTA - Principal Coffee Talk
9/25 Spirit Day - show your school spirit by wearing a Kiker shirt or the color blue
9/29 5:00 pm GT Parent information session - register to attend