EDUC 645 - SCHOOL COUNSELOR ROLES
APUS STUDENT KEVIN DEAN FORUM 8
PROFESSIONAL SCHOOL COUNSELOR BELIEF & ATTITUDES
School Counselor Program Competencies - School counselors should posses the knowledge, abilities, skills and attitudes necessary to plan, organize, implement and evaluate a comprehensive, developmental, results-based school counseling program that aligns with the ASCA National Model (ASCA National Model, 2012).
School Counselors should posses the following beliefs & attitudes:
1. Knowledge of the ASCA National Model & innovative ways to integrate it into a successful school counseling program.
2. Ablity to come up with state of the art ways/strategies to incorporate the ASCA National Model into a successfully school counseling program.
3. Belief that all students can succeed in school and life while becoming productive members of society.
4. Always maintaining a positive ethical attitude towards job performance & achieving school mission.
5. Ablity to Manage an effective school counseling program aligning with the ASCA National Model (ASCA National Model, 2012).
6. Ability to effectively deliver a school counseling program aligning with the ASCA National Model (ASCA National Model, 2012).
7. Having a professional attitude while being a team player uniting all in-school/out-of school stakeholders to assist students all while believing in each stakeholders contributions towards the school goals.
School counselor roles with assessment/testing in counseling includes:
1. To utilize assessments as an evaluation tool to determine the best possible learning strategies for a student.
2. Explore the best possible assessment method to benefit that students to include; group, individual, standardized, nonstandardized,rating scales, projective, behavioral observations, interviews, biographical measures, and psychological measures.
3. ASCA Code of Ethics specifies principles of ethical conduct and standards of professional behavior for counselors (Hays, D. 2013).
4. All students should be treated fair with multicultural considerations in assessment to include (i.e. gender, race, ethnicity, ability status, age, soci-economic background, religion, moral values, academic level, medical or behavioral concerns to name a few)5.
I personnaly feel that school counselors that merge the above school counselors competencies, assessment/testing strategies, ASCA National Model, and beliefs/attitudes examples can provide all the tools necessary for students to succeed.
ASCA National Model (2012). ASCA National Model. A Framework For School Counseling Programs. 3rd Edition. Alexandria, VA.
Hays, D. (2013). Assessment in Counseling. A Guide To The Use Of Psychological Assessment Procedures. Alexandria, VA.
Youtube videos: School Counselors Roles & Student Thank You To School Counselors.