Simonton Third Grade Newsletter
Check out the latest news from our class!
Your children have been very busy learning, leading, and excelling! Over the next nine weeks they will add to their knowledge in math, by using the commutative, associative, and distributive properties when solving multiplication problems, solving two step word problems, identifying arithmetic patterns.
With regards to literacy, your child will be learning how to: use text features and search tools to locate information, using information gained from illustrations (e.g., maps, photographs) and the words in a text to demonstrate understanding of the text, different ways texts are structured (e.g., compare and contrast, sequence, cause and effect), literal and non-literal language, finding the main idea and supporting details.
In writing, your child will be working on learning how to write informational pieces through the publishing process. In grammar, your child will learn….more about conventions, parts of speech, to use reference materials (dictionary, thesaurus, digital versions), subject/verb agreement, and multiple meaning words.
With regards to the content areas and social studies and science your child will be learning about the lives of Susan B. Anthony, Frederick Douglass, Mary Mcleod Bethune, and will be studying rocks and minerals. How exciting!
Please continue reading to view our “I can” statements and important dates to add to your calendar!
With that being said, we want to make sure you are fully aware that the teachers of Simonton are always available if you have any questions. You can find teacher emails by going to the Simonton webpage.
Thanks for all you do for our wonderful students!
In an effort to improve system practices, R. C. Simonton Elementary School is conducting a Parent Survey. We value your opinion and ask that you take the time to complete this survey. In order to complete the survey, please click on the following link: http://www.advanc-ed.org/survey/public/2849801. Please be assured that your responses to this survey will be anonymous. Your honest opinion is appreciated. Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.
Simonton Elementary School
I Can Statements
Below are the I Can statements for the Second Nine Weeks.
Reading/ Language Arts
- I can read independently and understand what I read.
- I can use text features and search tools.
- I can compare and contrast the most important points and key details presented in two texts on the same topic.
- I can determine the main idea of a text; recount the key details and explain how they support the main idea.
- I can read and comprehend literature, including stories, dramas, and poetry.
- I can multiply using the distributive, commutative, and associative properties.
- I can solve two step word problems using multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction.
- I can find the area of rectangles using units and side lengths.
Social Studies/ Science
- I can discuss the life of Susan B. Anthony and her efforts to expand people's rights and freedoms in a democracy.
- I can discuss the life of Frederick Douglass and his efforts to expand people's rights and freedoms in a democracy.
- I can discuss the life of Mary McLeod Bethune and her efforts to expand people's rights and freedoms in a democracy
- I can investigate the physical attributes of rocks and soils
- I can write an informational story.