CDW Weekly Wrap-Up
March 18, 2022
A Message from Ms. Santa
Bathroom Vandalism and Pranks
Unfortunately, our custodial crew is continually being taken away from their other duties to clean up or fix what is left after students' vandalism. As a result, it has become quite burdensome to fix the various items that are being destroyed in the boys' bathrooms at CDW. We are asking for your support! Please speak with your child(ren) about the severity of these choices. As always, we appreciate your partnership.
At the bottom of each CDW Weekly Wrap-Up are upcoming, important dates!
CDW Spirit Week
As we wrap up another successful Spirit Week here at CDW, I want to thank the Student Government, the Advisor Ms. Cohen, and the students and staff who participated to show CDW School Spirit! It was a fun week had by all!
NVOT Choral Extravaganza
CDW Musical~ April 8th and 9th
CDW Musical: Donations Needed
CDW’s production of Fiddler on the Roof Jr. is looking for donations to create props, scenery, and costumes. Donations can be dropped off at the main office. Please make sure to indicate that the items are for the musical so that the office knows where to send them. We thank you in advance for your support!
Look at the list of items needed HERE.
Student Government Sock Drive
Charles DeWolf Middle School’s Student Government is hosting a Sock Drive!!!
Where: CDW lobby (there will be labeled boxes)
When: Wednesday, March 23rd- Wednesday, April 6th
How to participate:
Bring unused, tagged/in-bag socks.
Put the socks in a Ziploc bag with:
First and last name
Homeroom number & teacher
Number of pairs of socks in the bag
If you donate 5 or more pairs of socks following all the steps above, you will be awarded a HOMEWORK PASS!
Questions?: Ms. Cohen, Student Government Advisor, can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Donation Drive for Ukraine
Chromebook Usage and Safety
Our school-issued Chromebook device damage rates are on the rise and very high. Please remind your chid(ren) to keep his/her Chromebook in his/her school-issued case. It is highly recommended that you purchase insurance for your child(ren)'s school-issued Chromebook. Please refer to the information below if you have not purchased the insurance yet.
Mr. L's Updates
Reminders and Updates from CDW's Student Manager
Assemblies with Dr. Fowlin-March 23rd & March 24th
Wednesday, March 23rd
5th Grade~ 8:45 AM
6th Grade~ 12:45 PM
Thursday, March 24th
7th Grade~ 8:45 AM
8th Grade~ 1:45 PM
**PARENT ASSEMBLY~ 6:30-7:30 PM**
Intramural Sports Program
Ms. Brock - Intramural Dates & Activities
April - BASKETBALL
May through June - RECREATIONAL ACTIVITIES
Remember, the intramural program runs throughout the year so medical information can be submitted when your child wants to join. Please submit all PPE / HHQ documents to Mrs. McCarthy (McCarthy@nvnet.org) and forward all intramural-related emails to Ms. Brock (Brockl@nvnet.org).
All of this information can also be found in the Student Handbook.
GRADE 6: OTIS-LENNON SCHOOL ABILITY TEST (OLSAT)
This year, the Otis-Lennon School Ability Test (OLSAT) will be administered to all Grade 6 students on Tuesday, March 22nd. The OLSAT assessment is designed to measure a student's cognitive ability, as it relates to abstract thinking and reasoning ability; however, it does not produce an IQ score. Although the data from the OLSAT will not be used for grading purposes, the results help to identify students who qualify for LEAP, our gifted and talented program, while also providing teachers with additional data points regarding student ability and performance.
If your child becomes eligible for the LEAP Program, the school will contact you. If you are interested in your child’s test results, once they become available in early May, please contact Mrs. Hwang, our LEAP Teacher, at email@example.com.
No special preparation is necessary for this assessment. We just encourage our middle schoolers to do their best!
Please contact the school with any questions you may have.
Standardized Testing Presentation with Dr. Da Giau
The CDW Digital Filmmaking Club's Film Festival
Friday, March 25th~ 3:10-4:10 PM in the Lynch Gym
All films were created and acted by students who participated in the Digital Filmmaking Club. Four films will be shown that were created so far this school year, and all students of CDW are welcome to attend to watch them. HERE is the trailer for the Festival.
Nex-Trex Plastic Recycling Challenge Ends April 15th!
As of March 14th, we have 1,480 lbs. of plastic!!!
Grades 5, 6, 7 Parents
Mrs. Richardson can be reached at 201-664-1475 ext 2203 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Speaking with Mrs. Richardson first will ensure a smooth application process.
NJHS Information for the Current 7th Grade Students
Art Room Supplies Needed!
- Plastic Bags
See the Flyer from Ms. Watters HERE.
Volunteers play a huge part in the PTO, and what they are able to offer our students and teachers. Without volunteers, many of the programs that students, teachers, and families enjoy will not be able to happen. Volunteer descriptions can be found at: OTPTO.org under "More Info" and then "Flyers."
If you have interest in joining the PTO Board, joining or running a committee, or just want to learn more- please reach out to the PTO by visiting OTPTO.org and selecting "Contact Old Tappan PTO" under the Help tab.
If Your Child is Not Feeling Well
- has a fever. Students should be fever-free for 24 hours without medication prior to returning to school.
- is nauseous or is vomiting.
- has diarrhea
Due to Covid-19, if your child comes to school with the following symptoms, Mrs. McCarthy, our school nurse, will call you to pick up your child from school:
- At least two of the following symptoms: fever, chills, rigors, myalgia, headache, sore throat, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, congestion or runny nose; OR
- At least one of the following symptoms: cough, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, new olfactory disorder, new taste disorder.
Any student who falls into one of the categories above will be required to have a negative Covid-19 test to return to school. If your child has a chronic illness with one or more of the above symptoms, please contact Mrs. McCarthy so she is aware.
Anytime your child is not feeling well, and will not attend school, please contact Mrs. McCarthy at 201-664-1475 ext. 2103.
Travel Quarantine Requirements- updated
The CDC has updated its guidelines regarding international travel. Starting November 8, students who travel internationally will not be required to quarantine following their return to the United States. The United States is requiring a negative Covid-19 test to re-enter the US (from any international destination), so quarantine will not be required. We still ask for families to monitor their child(ren) for symptoms upon their return and quarantine if symptoms surface.
You may visit the CDC Travel Website HERE.
ATTENTION ALL CDW PARENTS / GUARDIANS:
Please help keep our students safe during morning drop-off and afternoon pick-up by practicing the following traffic rules.
1. Please do not enter the BOE parking to drop-off or pick-up your child(ren). Many of our students use that entrance to walk to their homeroom locations or pass through when walking home at the end of the day. We ask that you refrain from entering the BOE parking lot from 8:00 AM to 8:30 AM and from 2:30 PM to 3:10 PM.
2. Please do not drive through or park in any of the staff parking spots along Interschool Drive. Students should have a clear - safe - path to the sidewalk as they exit their vehicles.
3. If you drop your child(ren) off before the traffic cones on Interschool Drive, you can enter the right lane. This change in lanes will expedite your exit off school property.
- The drop-off line is a continuously moving line. Please do not park in the staff parking spaces along Interschool Drive to drop off your child(ren). Children are exiting their vehicles and heading towards the sidewalk, and this causes an unsafe walking zone.
- Please remind your child(ren) to exit the vehicle and walk behind your car.
- Parent(s)/Guardian(s) should not exit the vehicle. If your child(ren) needs assistance, the staff members are there to help.
- Please do not use the right lane to drop off your child(ren). This lane is designated for cars moving through to the exit.
- Please arrange a meeting area with your child(ren) so that you can locate them efficiently.
- Please do not park and/or exit your vehicle regardless of your child(ren) being at TBD or CDW.
- Please do not block designated emergency lanes that connect TBD and CDW.
General Traffic Rules Regarding Parking
- Never park in a "No Parking, Fire Lane." These lanes are designated with yellow paint in diagonal lines on the pavement along with the words, "No Parking Fire Lane."
- Never park along a curb that is painted yellow and leave your vehicle unattended.
- Do not double park (park your vehicle beside another vehicle that is in a designated parking space).
Thanks for keeping our kids safe!
Mark Your Calendar
Monday, March 21st~ The BOE Meeting is in the BOE Conference Room at 8 PM.
Tuesday, March 22nd~ The PTO Meeting will be at 7 PM in the CDW Media Center.
Wednesday, March 23rd~ Dr. Fowlin Assembly for Grades 5 and 6
Wednesday, March 23rd~ Standardized Testing Parent Workshop with Dr. Da Giau 1PM & 7 PM
Thursday, March 24th~ Dr. Fowlin Assembly for Grades 7 and 8; Parent Assembly at 6:30 PM
Wednesday, March 30th-Friday, April 1st~ 8th Grade Trip