Lakeview Staff Newsletter - November 1
• Often, we don't give ourselves credit for the self-care we already embed in our lives. For example, do I keep focusing on my lack of an exercise routine and forget that I have all sorts of other healthy habits?
• Self care could mean volunteerism, time with family, mindfulness, religious/spiritual practices, healthy eating, showing gratitude on a regular basis, optimistic self-talk, being sure to laugh every day, taking vacations, exercise, reading, learning about topics that have nothing to do with our chosen work, and so much more.
• One person said he has stopped using the word "balance" and recognizes there are "seasons" to the work we do. Those seasons might be punctuated times throughout the school year. Our self-care outside of those seasons is what sustains us when we feel out of "balance".
• Keeping our "to be" list as important as our "to do" list - to keep our purpose bigger than our challenges on a daily basis.
• Each of us is a "well" and people come to you to be refreshed. This includes students, colleagues at Lakeview, parents and families, etc. It is important to take time to care for the well so it doesn't run dry - for ourselves or for the others that truly depend on us.
Mon, Nov 4 - All school Golden Lion Assembly from 9:50-10:30
Tues, Nov 5 - Veteran's Day cards due to office, if participating
Wed, Nov 6 - LV Staff Meeting 7:15-8:15
Thursday, Nov 7 - PowerTeacher Pro Report Card Training Session 8:00-8:15 in library (for all staff meeting attendees)
Friday, Nov 8 - Early Dismissal (11:45), Teachers here in the afternoon
Monday, Nov 11 - Lakeview Building Meeting (monthly open office hours for anyone to visit with Chris about building issues - not a required meeting) from 7:45-8:15 in the library
Tuesday, Nov 12 - Jen Sielaff will be here for building hours just like on October 24th, except this time she will be here in the morning from 8:45-11:45.
• When held, assemblies will be on "Day 2" at 9:50 because nobody has specials at that time. That was created deliberately when the specials schedule was built.
• Golden Lions have been placed in envelopes with a card from McDonald's for a free item.
• Continue to use Golden Lions to reinforce the three Lakeview expectations of "Be safe ~ Be respectful ~ Be engaged" as well as the SM Character traits of Respect ~ Responsibility ~ Kindness ~ Honesty ~ Perseverance. If you are out of Golden Lion tickets, let the office know.
• If you have not reinforced as often with Golden Lions so far this year, please jump in more for the next round. I truly do not check that data ... but students notice.
• A healthy relationship needs 5 positives for every 1 negative interaction.
• If you are new to Lakeview, please check with your grade level partners to see where each class sits in the gym.
Here is the spreadsheet of all the currently available Expeditions (there are two tabs at the bottom). If you are looking for something, search the spreadsheet using Control+F and a key word. But I went through and quickly identified some that especially align with Amplify science units.
Plant adaptations (AR) - 1st, unit 1 Animal and Plant Defenses
Insect Adaptations (AR) - 1st, unit 1 Animal and Plant Defenses
Basic Landforms (AR) - 2nd, unit 3 Changing Landforms
Electricity (AR) - 4th, unit 1 Energy Conversions
Food Chains (AR) - 4th, unit 2 Vision & Light
Forces of Nature (AR) - 3rd, unit 4 Weather and Climate
Plant Pollination (AR) - 2nd, unit 1 Plant and Animal Relationships
Tropical Plants and Animals (AR) - 5th, unit 4 Ecosystem Restoration
Understanding Your Eyes (AR) - 4th, unit 2 Vision & Light
Astronomy (VR) - 5th, unit 1 Patterns of Earth & Sky
Clouds (VR) - 3rd, unit 4 Weather and Climate
Ecosystem (VR) - 5th, unit 4 Ecosystem Restoration
Magnetism (VR) - 3rd, unit 1 Balancing Forces
Link to this week's family newsletter - please see the article about our new G/T coordinator, Mrs. Brigid Harmeyer. Brigid will stop by at the end of our staff meeting on Wednesday for a formal introduction. Welcome, Brigid!
Lockers - It is a challenge for kids to get all their winter wear into lockers, but it can be done. Please ensure lockers are closed - it is a sign to students and visitors that we care about everything in our building. You might assign one person a job to be the "locker checker" to be sure all lockers in your class are closed.
Winter wear in the office? - When we cleaned and renovated the office this summer, we disposed of all the extra hats, mittens, etc. Please do not send students to the office looking for these items because we do not have them and do not plan to restock.
Personal Day Blackouts - here is a link to blackout days for elementary personal days.