a closer look at our week
Kid Town Open House
This week there was a shift into informational texts in our group reading activities. During small group guided reading time, we read nonfiction books about the community and as a whole group we read and examined Little Panda by Joanne Ryder. The students are naturally drawn to books like this because they really want to learn more about their world. Hua Mei, the featured panda, grew up right before their eyes as we read and they were fascinated with the story. In between multiple readings, we sequenced the panda cubs growth, looked at key vocabulary, and pulled out true facts we learned.
- Open Enrollment begins Monday
- Career Day presentations will be on Tuesday. Students may wear their career outfits all day but this is not a free dress day. If special clothes are not needed for the presentation, uniforms should be worn.
- Field Trip to Fairwinds Retirement Home is on Thursday
- Valentine's Day Party is on Friday.
- Mid-Winter Break is February 15-19.
- Turn in Jump Rope for Heart donations by February 22nd. Don't forget employer matching programs. If we meet our goal, Blitz (the Seahawks mascot) will come to our school!
This week in your Friday Folders...
- OPT Pottery Night Information
- Mid-Winter Break Camp registration form
- Home and School Connection
- Jump Rope for Heart update