Missouri Association of Secondary School Principals
Quote for the Principal's Journey
"Spirit of America" by Randy Travis
Update From the Executive Director
Next Tuesday is the 17th anniversary of 9/11. Like many of you, I can remember where I was and what I was doing on that tragic day. About 8:00 AM (CST), I walked into the commons area of New Mark Middle School and glanced at the TV. Instantly my attention turned from supervising students to seeing unspeakable events unfolding before our eyes. My assistant principal, Rick Dayoub, called district office as we were strategizing on next steps. We spent the rest of the day meeting and consoling students and faculty as well as greeting parents as they picked up their student from school. As we approach “Patriot Day” in our schools, it is an opportunity to remind students how our country was united in this calamity. The importance of first responders in our communities, devotion, bravery, and “service above self” are other reasons to share once again, how we can find strength in unimaginable adversity.
In This Issue
- 10 THINGS GREAT PRINCIPALS DO WELL
- Unpacking MLDS Managerial Domain
- Governor Parson Calls Special Session
- Regional Principal Meetings Announced
- Check out & welcome MoASSP's 60 Newest Members
- Upcoming Conferences & Workshops
- Fall Conference Registration
- Helpful Websites
- This Week's Video
- Top MoASSP Tweet for the Past Week
- In Case You Missed It
Whether you are aspiring, emerging, developing, or transformational, wherever you are on the “Principal’s Journey”, it really is a “matter of principal(ple).” Clark Mershon
Unpacking the Managerial Domain in the Missouri Leadership Development System (MLDS) by Dr. Jim Masters
Within the MLDS, the Managerial domain breaks down as follows:
- Implements operational systems
- Oversees personnel
- Ensures the equitable and strategic use of resources
MoASSP appreciates Dr. Masters in contributing to the Messenger as we continue to internalize MLDS. Click below to see the entire article.
Regional Principal Meetings Announced
Greater Kansas City Missouri Principals Association Announces 2018-2019 Principal Luncheon Roundtables
GKCMPA Principal Roundtable dates and locations for 2018-19 have been announced. The host principal will send out an invite a few weeks in advance of the Roundtable, and the agenda is always a collaborative effort. Jostens (Bob and Jeff Enger) generously provides lunch. To assist with planning, please RSVP the principal in advance. All meetings begin at 11:30 and conclude by 1:00 PM. This is the 11th year GKCMPA has met monthly. The networking and collaborative conversations have been extremely beneficial to KC principals.
KC middle school principals and secondary assistant principals also have roundtables throughout the year.
- September 12: Lee’s Summit HS, John Faulkenberry
- October 10: Park Hill HS, Brad Kincheloe
- November 14: Blue Springs South HS, Charlie Belt
- January 9: Oak Park HS, Chris Sartain
- February 13: Blue Springs HS, Tom Alderman
- April 10: Kearney HS, Dave Schwarzenbach
- June 5: Lee’s Summit West HS, Chad Hertzog
Total membership is now 957. Click on a name and connect with a colleague in your district or another part of the state by sending an email.
If you see inaccurate information, please email Katy. Thanks for helping us keep our database up to date.
Mark Your Calendar for the 84th Annual MoASSP/MCCTA Fall Conference "Leading A Healthy Climate in OUR Schools!"
Sunday, Sep. 30th 2018 at 5pm to Tuesday, Oct. 2nd 2018 at 11am
Holiday Inn Executive Center - Columbia 2200 Interstate 70 Dr SW, Columbia, MO 65203
MSHSAA 101 Meeting Schedule
SPECIAL NOTICE TO ATHLETIC DIRECTORS & PRINCIPALS
As a requirement in MSHSAA by-law 1.2, enforcement of constitution and by-laws, athletic directors and principals are required to attend. For a complete list of meeting dates and locations, click here. Make plans to attend one of the 2018 MSHSAA 101 meetings near you.
SAVE THE DATE: National Principals Conference July 18-20, 2019 in Boston, MA
Missouri was well represented with 97 attending the National Principals Conference last month in Chicago. Save the date now to attend next years conference. If you are interested in attending or presenting, click here to begin receiving updates.
MoASSP Board of Directors
- NASSP Coordinator for Missouri: John Faulkenberry, Lee's Summit HS
- MoASSP President: Ed Gettemeier, Hardin MS
- MoASSP President-Elect: Marc Spunaugle, Lincoln HS
- MoASSP Past President: Chris Hoehne, Ste. Genevieve HS
- MoASSP Treasurer: Kathryn Greer, Francis Howell North HS
- At-Large Non-Public: Valerie Todd, St. Mary's HS
- At-Large Assistant Principal: Jennifer Strauser, Eureka HS
- At-Large Middle Level: Jonathan Apostol, Monett MS
- Kansas City (GKCMPA): Jeff Meisenheimer, Lee's Summit North HS
- Northwest: Robert Bowers, Lathrop HS
- Northeast: Scott Daly, Hallsville HS
- Southeast: Dan Hecht, Kelly-Benton HS
- Southwest: Sarah Odom, Cherokee MS
- South Central: Jim Pritchett, Rolla HS
- Central: Brandon Harding, Cole Camp HS
- St. Louis (SASSP): Andy Croley, McCluer North HS
- NASSP Board Member: Kevin Lowery, Lebanon HS
2018-2019 District Presidents
- Central Region: Jonathan Peterson, Smithton HS
- GKCMPA: Charlie Belt, Blue Springs South HS
- Northeast Region: Deborah Hill-Haag, Mexico MS
- Northwest Region: Beery Johnson, Benton HS
- SASSP: Gary Jansen, Crestview MS (Rockwood)
- South Central Region: Kelle McCallum, Washington HS
- Southeast Region: Lucas McKinnis, Bernie HS
- Southwest Region: Keith White, Buffalo HS
MoASSP/MCCTA Features "Digital Principal of the Year", Dr. Bill Ziegler, as Closing Keynote at the 84th Annual Fall Conference
Dr. Bill Ziegler is an award-winning School Leader, author, and speaker. He has been recognized as the 2016 Pennsylvania Principal of the Year and the 2015 National Association of Secondary School Principals Digital Principal Award Winner. He is the co-author of Future-Focused Leaders - Relate, Innovate, and Invigorate for Real Educational Change. Bill serves as a High School Principal and has 20 years of experience as a School Leader. Bill resides in Pennsylvania with his wife and two high school and college-aged children.
Thanks to Our Corporate Sponsors for Helping Support the Vision & Mission of MoASSP
Missouri Association of Secondary School Principals
The vision of MoASSP is to serve ALL middle level and high school administrators.
The mission of MoASSP is to improve secondary education through positive leadership and the enhancement of student performance.