"BE THE CHANGE YOU WISH TO SEE IN THE WORLD."-GANDHI
Halloween Service Events
TRICK-OR-TREAT FOR CANNED GOODS
Thursday, Oct. 31st, 5:30pm
WVWC students have been trick-or-treating in the community for non-perishable items for more than a decade...it's time you joined this Wesleyan service tradition!
Come to the Chapel oval at 5:30 pm on Thursday, October 31st to sign-up and receive instructions for Trick-or-Treat for Canned Goods. Come by yourself, bring a friend, or bring your entire organization! Volunteers will go 'trick-or-treating' for nonperishable items at houses within a designated Buckhannon area. Bags and maps will be provided, but please bring your own bags if you have any! Collected items will be dropped off at the Upshur Cooperative Parish House on the corner of College Avenue and Sedgwick Street. Free pizza and soda will be provided to participants following the event.
WE LEAD News and Opportunities
- The WE LEAD Annual Events team is looking for reliable volunteers to be trained to help with the Ten Thousand Villages Store that will be held in the game room November 13-20. The training will be held on November 12th from 6-8pm in the Center for Community Engagement & Leadership Development (behind the campus bookstore). During the training volunteers will learn how to use the register and take inventory. Questions? Contact WE LEAD Annual Events team: Elaine Ashman firstname.lastname@example.org or Shawna Clayton at email@example.com
- Social Justice Team Weekly Meetings, every Wednesday, 8 pm in the CCE (located behind the campus bookstore)
- Children & Youth Team Weekly Meetings, every Tuesday, 5 pm in the CCE
- Appalachian Experience Team Meetings, every other Thursday (Nov. 7 & 21), 6 pm in the CCE
- Animal Welfare Team Meeting, every other Tuesday (Nov. 5 & 19), 7 pm in the CCE
- Eco/Sustainability Team Meetings, every other Wednesday (Nov. 6 & 20), 4:15 pm in the CCE
- Health & Wellness Team Meeting on October 28, 8 pm, CCE
Upcoming Issue Team Meetings...don't miss these opportunities to learn more and get involved in the issues you care about!
Requests from the Community
- Volunteers are needed for a mass mailing/labeling for WIC (Women, Infants, and Children), located in the WIC office next to Sam's Pizza. Two to three volunteers are needed to help prepare a mailing in mid- to late-October. Times and dates are flexible. E-mail Katie Loudin for more information.
- Volunteers are needed to help with Stockert Youth Center's Drill Team. The program directors are looking for eager students to teach children. If you can help or have experience with baton/poms/rifles/flags, please contact Briana Blake.
Volunteering for Trick-or-Treat for Canned Goods? Check out the Upshur Cooperative Parish House's website to learn more about what they do for our community and how your help in events and food drives serve the Upshur County community.
Mark Your Calendar
Ten Thousand Villages Sale at WVWC
Weekdays: 10:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Weekends: 1:00 PM - 7:00 PM
Do you want to know more about Ten Thousand Villages? Check it out!
Ten Thousand Villages is an exceptional source for unique handmade gifts, jewelry, home decor, art and sculpture, textiles, serveware and personal accessories representing the diverse cultures of artisans in Asia, Africa, Latin America and the Middle East. One of the world's largest fair trade organizations and a founding member of the World Fair Trade Organization (WFTO), the company strives to improve the livelihood of tens of thousands of disadvantaged artisans in 38 countries. Ten Thousand Villages accomplishes this by establishing a sustainable market for handmade products in North America, and building long term buying relationships in places where skilled artisan partners lack opportunities for stable income. Product sales help pay for food, education, healthcare and housing for artisans who would otherwise be unemployed or underemployed.