December 2023, Volume 6, Number 4
LYNX Scholars Finish 2023 Strong!
CONGRATULATIONS to FHS seniors Greyson Rollman and Peter Vila for earning scholarships at the Leesburg Aviation Expo to continue their studies in aviation!
FHS Cadets have been connecting with partners to explore ways to focus on personal wellness while pursuing college and career goals. This theme continues in December as we strive to finish 2023 strong! Students: Review the list of December opportunities below the photos and sign up using the LYNX Study Lounge in Schoology!
LYNX Scholars pictured below at LifeCycle Fitness Studio explored careers in fitness and personal training while working out and learning how to maintain a healthy lifestyle!
LYNX Scholars taking our 5th block ACCE 101 "College Success Tools" course stretched their minds at FCC: they toured campus, received their student ID's, and engaged in Q&A to learn about all of the opportunities at Frederick Community College. They also discovered their Holland Code with FHS Career Coach Katelyn Keller to match their personalities to potential careers!
Our LYNX partners regularly visit FHS during the school day to get our students thinking about applying what they learn in the classroom. Pictured below:
- Dr. John Deni guides students through a National Security Council simulation and discusses opportunities in the field of International Relations.
- Chief Prosecutor Mike Moore and Criminal Defense attorney Jake Craven stress the importance of having a passion for curiosity and a strong sense of integrity.
Ellen Rollman met with LYNX scholars to detail how her work in lymphatic, medical, sports, and Swedish massage benefits the overall health of her clients. She demonstrated what happens to muscle fibers when there is a knot and how massage alleviates it!
Elizabeth Enriquez RN, IBCLC, PCMH met with LYNX scholars interested in working in healthcare. She detailed her vital work with mothers and babies, explained the complicated nature of feeding an infant, and demonstrated basic infant care.
Upcoming LYNX Experiences
Dec 5: Chopped Competition (at FHS, Culinary Arts class)
Dec 6: Careers in Filmmaking (at FHS)
Dec 8: CPR for Adults (at FHS)
Dec 8: Careers in Teaching/Education (at FHS)
Dec 11: Careers in Barbering (off campus)
Dec 11: Exploring Careers with the FAA - Expo and Discussion (at FHS)
Dec 12: Preserving African American History - Videography and Oral History (at FHS)
Dec 12: Exploration in Self Defense and Martial Arts (off campus)
Dec 14: First United Bank (at FHS)
Dec 15: Careers in Medicine - Nursing and Psychiatry (at FHS)
Dec 15: HVAC with Chris Gove of ACC (at FHS)
Dec 18: Finding Your Center Workshop (at FHS)
Dec 19: Frederick Mental Health Association Chat (at FHS)
Dec 20: Careers in Finance (at FHS, MPF class)
Dec 21: Computer Science Outreach at Lincoln Elementary (at FHS)
LYNX Scholars in Action: Strengthening the Mind and Body
- listening to Marines from Marine Recruit Station Frederick explain careers in cybersecurity, information systems, and communications
- discussing motivation, team work, and leadership with Rob Havenstein, FCPS graduate and offensive tackle for the Los Angeles Rams
- "absorbing learning" at Brewer's Alley about the value of character, integrity, and work ethic
- communicating about careers using American Sign Language (ASL) with Cathy Babb
- team building with professionals from Yakabod while exploring opportunities in computer science
- practicing cosmetology skills while learning about the importance of creativity and community relationships at Incantation Haircolor Studio
Learning Lab in the FHS Media Center!
When? Daily from 2:20-3:40 pm
Students must sign up by 1:15 pm on the day they plan to attend.
- Students must enter the media center by 2:30 pm.
- LYNX staff will assign seating.
- Students must work on class assignments or assessments until 3:40 pm.
The media center closes at the 3:40 pm bell.
All students report to the cafeteria for supper and bus service.
Students may sign out before 3:40 pm if they are car riders/walkers.